Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Posted my success before I read your last message, somehow I missed it! Thanks for the info, will look it over carefully re the profile info....Again many thanks......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Posted my success before I read your last message, somehow I missed it! Thanks for the info, will look it over carefully re the profile info....Again many thanks...

Just Joined!
    I think I begin to see where I'm so horribly confused by this pissant yast configuration utility. The part where you set host name and name server configuration...that isn't specific to the network card or the wireless card, is it? You set it, and both use that...it's not one for each instance of a network device.

Which is where I head off to the freeping profile thing, I think. Can the yast network device configuration utility possibly be any more confusing? It couldn't even bother to say hey, if you want profiles, go here in the little (mostly useless) commentary on the left thing?

Shee...

Thx for listening to rants and raves...

Linux Newbie

Wired and wireless

Don't get confused here, when people talk about the wired card they mean
    the one that is connected to the network by a cable or wire. This I understand
    is the one you use at work.
    The wireless card is the one NOT conected to the network by a wire or cable.
    It uses radio to connect to the network.
    Hope this helps you to make sense of what people are telling you to do.

@ browneyedgirl
    The hostname and nameserver configuration page is for all network cards on your system, be it wired, wireless or loopback. This also applies to the routing page.

Maybe you should forward your suggestions to the SUSE development team, since it is opensource, I don't think they will mind getting a little feedback and how they can improve things.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Ha. Well it IS confusing so when I have a 'mo I will figure out where I can give, ah, constructive feedback.

Now, on to the static setup. This seems to be just hopeless right now. I've gone over yast again and again. I've set it to a static, I've got the right gateway and dns server (exactly as they are on this machine). Things look okay on ifconfig and I've ifdown'd eth0 (wireless) to be sure it's not interfering, and the eth1 looks like its got all the right addresses.

Route, however, takes a good five seconds to print anythign out, though when it finally does, it looks ok. I can ping localhost and the gateway. But it just stubbornly refuses to ping google.com (or anything else).... I keep fiddling with this, if I can just get it to work, I'm whisking this puppy into a profile so fast it will remain permanently dizzy.

Sigh...

when you look at the result from iwconfig (I know you are not using wireless at work), which interface has wireless extensions? That interface is your wireless card.

Now from reading your previous post, I still have the feeling that you downed your wired card and is using the wireless card to connect at work.

What I suggest you do is tell the computer to never bring up the wireless card and setup the wired card as normal. Then put those configurations into a profile. Then do the same for the dhcp and wireless for home.

Just Joined!
    iwconfig sez that eth0 is wireless, eth1 has no wireless extensions...

Just Joined!
    Does this ring any bells? If I ifdown eth1 and then ifup eth1, one of the comments says: warning: ip6tables does not support state matching, extended ipv6 support disabled. This is related to the firewall. But in the end it says firewall rules successfully set...

I set both network devices to start manually. No joy, unless I need to reboot as well?

woah, thats the first time I heard that linux detected the wireless card first. Ok so, you have setup the route correctly using the wired card right?

Yeah i also get that ipv6 stuff, but don't know how to disable it.

What does pinging result in once the wired card is brought up? And the result of route? I assume you are now in windows, so rebooting is moot unless you changed it so that the cards are now no longer brought up automaticially.

Just Joined!
    Well it's an internal wireless, so perhaps that makes the difference? I've checked it a couple times on the yast. When I highlight the ethernet (wired) card, it's got a device name along the lines of eth-id-MAC, has the static ip addr listed, and says started automatically at boot (hmmm, thought I'd reset that, but that shouldn't hurt). Clicking on the wireless card gives me a device name of wlan-id-MAC, ip by dhcp, and started manually.

Route gives me (with a noticeable several second pause)
    xxx.xxx.xx.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    default xxx.xxx.xx.1 UG 0 0 0 eth1

ping on xxx.xxx.xx.1 works (this is the gateway)
    anything else does not

I am working on a separate desktop to post here; the laptop's come to work for the ride. It doesn't have a windoze installation

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast