Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i upgraded from a dual boot windows and suse 9.3 to suse 10 and when i did it wiped out my windows partition...why? can u dual boot in suse 10? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suse 10 upgrade woes!

i upgraded from a dual boot windows and suse 9.3 to suse 10 and when i did it wiped out my windows partition...why? can u dual boot in suse 10? is there any way of getting this windows partition back?

!

Yes you can dual boot with any linux system -- including suse10.

Can you explain more fully about what you did and what your problem is?? What exactly did you do to upgrade from 9.3 to 10?? What do you mean it "wiped out" your windows partition?? Is it completely gone, or is it that you are simply not able to boot into it??

Give us as much detail as you can and we'll see what we can do!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Are you sure you wiped out your windows partition?? During an upgrade? Can you post the result from this command:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    thats a minus l (little L).

If you have deleted the windows partition, theres no way of getting it back unless you go for one of those costly professional data recovery specalists. (Warning these people cost $$$$$$$$$, in the region of $2000 o recover drives).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Re: !

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Yes you can dual boot with any linux system -- including suse10.

Can you explain more fully about what you did and what your problem is?? What exactly did you do to upgrade from 9.3 to 10?? What do you mean it "wiped out" your windows partition?? Is it completely gone, or is it that you are simply not able to boot into it??

Give us as much detail as you can and we'll see what we can do!
    i'm not sure if its completely gone or not, i'll run fdisk when i get home...but i had the option of booting into windows or linux at startup and now i don't have that option...it only allows me to boot to suse 10. Is there a way to get the option back to boot to windows? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CRDANDRIDGE
    Is there a way to get the option back to boot to windows?
    We shall know once the results from fdisk are available. If it is available, fdisk will show an entry which has HPFS/NTFS or FAT as the partition type. If that partition is still there, your windows is intact and all you have to do is reconfigure your grub bootloader.

Just Joined!
    We shall know once the results from fdisk are available. If it is available, fdisk will show an entry which has HPFS/NTFS or FAT as the partition type. If that partition is still there, your windows is intact and all you have to do is reconfigure your grub bootloader.
    Ok, so I have an entry that says this...
    Code:
    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1               1       24321   195358401    7  HPFS/NTF
    is windows still intact? if so how do i reconfigure grub?

Yes, it looks like windows is still there!! Now you have to reconfigure grub to let it know that windows is there and that you want it as a boot choice. In order to do this you need to edit a file called /boot/grub/menu.lst (NOTE: those are all letters, not ONE s t, but lower-case L s t, OK?)
    Code:
    su -
    <your root password here>
    pico /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Now include the following in this file
    Code:
    title Windows
    root &#40;hd0,0&#41;
    chainloader +1
    Now next time you boot it should offer you windows as an option!

See this link -- here I've posted my full menu.lst so you can see how I've got it set up. Note the "default 0" line near the top. Grub starts numbering from zero, so this tells it to boot the first entry (Suse in my case) by default. If I wanted to make windows boot by default, you can see that I'd have to change it to "default 2".

All clear??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    ok so i added this
    Code:
    title windows
    root &#40;hd0,0&#41;
    chainloader +1
    and when i rebooted i got a black screen with this...
    Code:
    root &#40;hd0,0&#41; filesystem type unknown, partition type 0X82 chainloader +1
    error 13&#58; invalid or unsupported executable format
    whats going on?

Since fdisk gave your ntfs partition as sdb1, it should be (hd1,0) not (hd0,0) which I assume is your SUSE partition.

Boot from your SUSE 10, install cd/dvd, when you get to the installation prompt, select Install, then select Boot Alreaady installed suse system (Or something which sounds similar to that).

Now, what you should do is re-edit the grub.conf file and change the (hd0,0) part of windows to (hd1,0)

Just Joined!
    once i edit the file with this

Code:
    title Windows 
    root &#40;hd0,0&#41; 
    chainloader +1
    how do i get the file to save it? when i reboot i'm getting the same three options, with no windows in it...sorry for the newbie questions...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast