Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by oldcpu I am in the process of backing up "key/important" information, but I am curious, can I expect all data on the Reiser to be wiped when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    I am in the process of backing up "key/important" information, but I am curious, can I expect all data on the Reiser to be wiped when I increase size? (I don't care about the data on the NTFS).
    oldcpu, I haven't tried resizing my NTFS partition and add it to the existing Reiser partition, I just created a FAT partition. I don't know if you can add the new partition as Reiser to your existing root partition, but from the looks of things, you can't.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Problem, I have tried to resize my Windows partition using the YaST partitioner, but it says it was mounted.

I tried to unmount it via command line and it said that it was busy, yet I wasent running windows and had no programs or windows open with Windows in it.

try using "umount -f mount_point" as root, also wait a bit before you try the command as when you tried the resize option, it would have tried to read the windows drive, this would have caused some activity which might take a minute or so to die down.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

I took a cautious approach

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    I haven't tried resizing my NTFS partition and add it to the existing Reiser partition, I just created a FAT partition. I don't know if you can add the new partition as Reiser to your existing root partition, but from the looks of things, you can't.
    In the end I partly chickened out.

On my PC, I booted to knoppix live dvd, and carved up a 50GByte NTFS partition. I used qparted to carve up the NTFS into two, leaving 20GBytes for WinXP, and took 30GBytes, and made it a linux XFS partition. I then booted to SuSE-9.3, and ran Yast partitioner, and changed the 30GByte XFS to Reiser. I made the mount point /home/oldcpu/data1. I did not try to combine it with my exisitng reiser. I didn't see the point of taking the extra risk.

On my wife's PC, I did something similar. Took a 40GByte vfat hard drive (her D: drive according to Windows), and carved it into a 30GByte vfat and 10 GByte XFS. I then booted to SuSE-10.0 and ran Yast partitioner. Again, I changed the 10GBytes from XFS to Reiser, and I made the mount point point /home/wife/data. Again I didn't see the point in risking data loss (by combining reiser partitions), when it was not necessary.

This took less than 20 minutes to do both PCs. The slow part was the 3 hour backup before hand!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3