Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
thanks for all the help the umask=0000 worked but but i was wondering if you could tell me what the comands meen...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

thanks for all the help the umask=0000 worked but but i was wondering if you could tell me what the comands meen

Sure, when mountying drives you give masked permissions, that is instead of letting no one read it with the 0000 permissions, you'd put 0777, which is a reverse.

Permissions can be stated as numbers, 1 for execute, 4 for read, and 2 for write, all of these todether make 7. Then where in the string of numbers the number is, gives who has the permissions:

0741 <-- this permission, has read/write/execute(7) permissions for the owner, read (4) permissions for others in the same group, and execute (1) permissions for everyone else in the group. But if you were to use this when mounting with the unmask command it'd mean, no permissions at all for the owner, write permissions only for anyone in the same group, and read/write permissions for everyone else.

So when one wants full permissions for r/w/x for everyone people put 0777, and translating this for a use with umask it would read 0000 which is the oposite of the permissions. Hopfully I've explained pretty well here, if I havn't, I'll try again .
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

This may help - read this thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-56297.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2