Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by i2kdave windows lists my soundcard as PCI, so it must not be onboard Exactly. So you have an onboard device and a PCI device, and one is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by i2kdave
    windows lists my soundcard as PCI, so it must not be onboard
    Exactly. So you have an onboard device and a PCI device, and one is blocking sound output for the other. Disable the one in the BIOS and see if that fixes it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Exactly. So you have an onboard device and a PCI device, and one is blocking sound output for the other. Disable the one in the BIOS and see if that fixes it.
    when I did this, SUSE didn't find any soundcards

when I did this, SUSE didn't find any soundcards
    Did MS Windows still have sound after you did this?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I didn't check...

Just Joined!
    ok, I just looked inside my box and my soundcard is not PCI, so I don't know why Windows says it is. The AC'97 is onboard.

ok, I just looked inside my box and my soundcard is not PCI, so I don't know why Windows says it is. The AC'97 is onboard.
    Which brings us back to where we were before. You have no PCI sound card and only an onboard sound device that's showing up as a PCI sound card in MS Windows and showing up as TWO sound cards in Linux, neither of which work correctly. Does that about sum it up?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Which brings us back to where we were before. You have no PCI sound card and only an onboard sound device that's showing up as a PCI sound card in MS Windows and showing up as TWO sound cards in Linux, neither of which work correctly. Does that about sum it up?
    well, it's not showing up as 2 cards in Linux any longer, since I did was oldcpu suggested. It's showing up correctly and says it's configured, yet I still have no sound.

well, it's not showing up as 2 cards in Linux any longer, since I did was oldcpu suggested. It's showing up correctly and says it's configured, yet I still have no sound.
    Ok. And you've made sure it's not muted and no other apps or daemons (like artsd or esd) are blocking it?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Ok. And you've made sure it's not muted and no other apps or daemons (like artsd or esd) are blocking it?
    It's definitely not muted. I haven't checked for artsd or esd, though. What are they, and how do I check for them?

It's definitely not muted. I haven't checked for artsd or esd, though. What are they, and how do I check for them?
    They're sound daemons used by some window managers and desktop environments. You can see if they're running by checking your running processes with either ps -aux or top. You can then kill them by taking note of their process id (provided in the second or third column of ps -aux and top, I forget which), and doing a kill -9 12345 where "12345" is the PID.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast