Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
at the yast control center at graphics card and properties, there's a options button, and theres a bunch of values that you can put in for each option, but i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE Graphics Card and Properties

at the yast control center at graphics card and properties, there's a options button, and theres a bunch of values that you can put in for each option, but i don't know what to put it. are they important? can they improve performance?

if you have your monitor manual you can fill these parts in with details from the manufacturer,only to be used if you know what you are doing & yast doesn't recognise your monitor

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I have an installation of SuSE 9.3 on my P4 1.7GHz, 512MB RAM, 8 GB HDD system with a SAMTRON 56V monitor.
    On completion of the installation and configuration, I chose the monitor from the list of available monitor SuSE provided.

The first login was sucessful. Logged in as "root" and configured the system to run properly.

After everthing was done, when the system was rebooted, I am not able to login as "root" and secondly, when I try and login with the other user I had created I go to the console window and I am forced to execute "kde" to start the GUI.

Whats up? Need help on that...

Alex

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So you are saying that when you boot suse, you are sent to the command line? Simply goto the gui by typing startx, then follow instructions below:

In the terminal, type:
    Code:
    su -
    <enter root password>
    kate /etc/inittab &
    You can replace kate with your favourite editor, e.g. vi, gedit, emacs, nano etc...

Now look for the line like this:
    id:3:initdefault:
    change the 3 to a 5. Save and eit.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    This is the line already present in the "inittab" file.
    Code:
    # The default runlevel is defined here
    id:5:initdefault:

# First script to be executed, if not booting in emergency (-b) mode
    si::bootwait:/etc/init.d/boot

The problem as I see it is with the monitor not being detected appropriately and hence the display is not starting.

As suggested "startx" gives an error stating "The xserver could not be stated at Display: 0".
    Is there a way to reconfigure that from yast (I have tried that but there is no option, let me know if you can suggest otherwise from command-line, etc...)

Also am not able to login as root to the system. The password is correct but it does not accept the same. I am forced to login as the user that I created (mentioned in earlier post). Please suggest alternatives as the runlevel is "5" and that should allow multiple user login on the same system.

Thanks in advance...

Alex

Just Joined!
    Super user mode does not help, and neither does the editing of the "inittab" file to default to a single-user bootup.

Tried "yast2" again and tried reconfiguring the monitor (and display card) to generic options, and they do not work either.

Anything else that can be done other than a clean install??

Thanks in advance...

Alex

try running sax2 rather than yast2. As for root logging into a gui environment, there are ways to prevent this from happening. That may be why you can't enter root into a gui, but can you do it from the console?

If none of those work, just do a clean install. If even that doens't work, paste out your xorg.conf file here and I am sure someone will be able to help.

Just Joined!
    Tried to login to root from "xterm" and was able to do so fine.
    Started "kde" without any issues from root ("su -" login in xterm).

Just an FYI: When I tried your earlier advice, of starting GUI using "startx" I got the display error: 0 message (as metnioned in previous posts), but after that when I tried "kde" didn't work. Restart the session and then try "kde" immediately, GUI starts up.

No clue why it doesn't startup with "startx"

I am trying the sax2 options tonight..

Thanks again,

Alex

if you want startup with the startx command, just execute this as a normal user:
    Code:
    echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
    Now when you type startx as normal user, kde starts.

Just Joined!
    The instruction above did help me. I was able to login to sax2 and configure the monitor and the Graphics card succesfully.

After logging off and logging in again was able to view the desktop as normally it should appear.

But the issue with the "root" user login is still not solved. I am able to login as the normal user, but in order to configure any stuff and install softwares/applications, I am propmted for "root" passwd.

Is there a way for me to login as "root" and not as a normal user???

Thanks again for the help...

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast