Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 10 of 10
First of all, I am very new to Linux. I am running SuSE 10.0 (downloaded version) alongside XP Pro. I have struggled to find a mediaplayer that will work at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    64

    Kaffeine will not play


    First of all, I am very new to Linux. I am running SuSE 10.0 (downloaded version) alongside XP Pro. I have struggled to find a mediaplayer that will work at all. I removed the mediaplyers that were on the system by default using YAST and installed the Win32 codecs, then reinstalled Kaffeine and the plug-in for Mozilla-firefox (got them from Packman). I keep getting the error saying "xine: couldn't find demux". I have searched and searched and have not found an answer to this problem. I'd really appreciate some help, thanks!! I'm really looking forward to learning more about Linux!!

  2. #2
    Linux Newbie uninvisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Hi dualboot, this is what i did:

    Fristly, i'm assuming you have Packman added to your repositories.
    If so, in Yast, remove these:

    • kaffeine
      kdemultimedia3-video-xine
      totem
      xine-lib
      xine-ui


    After those are removed, install libxine1, libdvdcss, and xine-ui in Yast (use Packman source)
    Afterwards you can install whatever gui you like: kaffeine, mplayer, xine, etc. (again, make sure you use packman source)

    Hope it works!!

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    64
    Sweet!! I guess I was installing stuff in the wrong order or something. THanks alot, worked like a charm!!

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Newbie uninvisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Good to know you have it working!!

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by uninvisible
    Hi dualboot, this is what i did:

    Fristly, i'm assuming you have Packman added to your repositories.
    If so, in Yast, remove these:

    • kaffeine
      kdemultimedia3-video-xine
      totem
      xine-lib
      xine-ui


    After those are removed, install libxine1, libdvdcss, and xine-ui in Yast (use Packman source)
    Afterwards you can install whatever gui you like: kaffeine, mplayer, xine, etc. (again, make sure you use packman source)

    Hope it works!!
    Hey there univisible.
    Was this the fix for the "all video drivers failed to initialize" error on another thread. Because I have that exact error now and cannot get either xine,gxine or kaffeine working.. I saw the thread but there was no solution given in the end.

  7. #6
    Just Joined! ArtVandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17
    Hey all,

    I've done a search on google and these baords and am still coming up with nothing.

    The problem is, each time I run xine via a terminal, it loads the splash screen and then quits automatically.
    If I use options such as
    Code:
    xine -V fb
    or
    Code:
    xine -V none
    the UI will stay and I can attampt to load movies, which will then not play at all.

    I'm running SuSE 10.0, with updates from the Packman repositories (libxine1...), P4 CPU, nVidia GeForce graphics with 3D...

    Can anyone help, please?

  8. #7
    Linux Newbie uninvisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
    Hey all,

    I've done a search on google and these baords and am still coming up with nothing.

    The problem is, each time I run xine via a terminal, it loads the splash screen and then quits automatically.
    If I use options such as
    Code:
    xine -V fb
    or
    Code:
    xine -V none
    the UI will stay and I can attampt to load movies, which will then not play at all.

    I'm running SuSE 10.0, with updates from the Packman repositories (libxine1...), P4 CPU, nVidia GeForce graphics with 3D...

    Can anyone help, please?
    Hey there, what messages do you receive after typing xine in the console? That usually gives you an idea of where the problem lies. And also if you haven't done so; libxine, libdvdcss etc should be installed before any gui's/apps.

  9. #8
    Just Joined! ArtVandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by uninvisible
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
    Hey all,

    I've done a search on google and these baords and am still coming up with nothing.

    The problem is, each time I run xine via a terminal, it loads the splash screen and then quits automatically.
    If I use options such as
    Code:
    xine -V fb
    or
    Code:
    xine -V none
    the UI will stay and I can attampt to load movies, which will then not play at all.

    I'm running SuSE 10.0, with updates from the Packman repositories (libxine1...), P4 CPU, nVidia GeForce graphics with 3D...

    Can anyone help, please?
    Hey there, what messages do you receive after typing xine in the console? That usually gives you an idea of where the problem lies. And also if you haven't done so; libxine, libdvdcss etc should be installed before any gui's/apps.
    Hello,

    I followed your steps from above a few times and then in different orders of installtion, etc, to no avail.
    The above code is all I've typed into the console, after clicking the movie file icons in KDE did nothing but display the splash screen to xine.

    Since my last post, I have tried using gxine, and got a "segmentation" error, which I googled and searched here, again and found nothing I could use/understand to fix the problem...

    Any ideas of anything i may have missed?

  10. #9
    Linux Newbie uninvisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Hello,

    I followed your steps from above a few times and then in different orders of installtion, etc, to no avail.
    The above code is all I've typed into the console, after clicking the movie file icons in KDE did nothing but display the splash screen to xine.

    Since my last post, I have tried using gxine, and got a "segmentation" error, which I googled and searched here, again and found nothing I could use/understand to fix the problem...

    Any ideas of anything i may have missed?

    Strange that it won't work for you. Maybe you could post what exact steps you did take? As for the order of installation, you definitely have to install the codecs (libxine1, libdvdcss, xine-ui) first. And can you double check that you are using the packman/guru repositories?

    One last thing, type xine in the konsole and post the output here. Good luck!!

  11. #10
    Just Joined! ArtVandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17

    Cool

    Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me- the more time I spend with Linux and you guys, the less I see myself using Microsoft products: MPlayer has since been installed and has fixed my issues with video.

    Thanks all,

    av.
    Last edited by ArtVandelay; 12-19-2005 at 11:07 PM. Reason: missing text.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •