Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, In my windoz partition, I have the ITUNES application loaded and like to play radio stations. Using xmms, kafine or Realplayer, all players suggest that they can access a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    jwf

itunes for SUSE? (or an equivalent)

Hi, In my windoz partition, I have the ITUNES application loaded and like to play radio stations.

Using xmms, kafine or Realplayer, all players suggest that they can access a URL, but when I try, all I get is a "connecting....." message, but nothing happens (I am online)

I've tried loading the stations: (to name a few)
    www.midnightblues.com
    www.radiocave.com
    www.bluesfestRadio.com
    www.radiopower.org
    www.banditbluesradio.com

Can I get ITUNES working on Suse 9.1, or is there another player that is just as good?

Thanks

XMMS worked fine for the midnightblues radio station here. Try saving the .pls file (iTunes/Winamp link) and running:
    Code:
    xmms listen.pls
    Essentially, just save the .pls file and run XMMS like above substituing the name of the pls. I noticed 4 of the 5 links you listed had .pls links to listen. One had a .ram. Try running realplayer and opening that one.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

jwf

xmms radio still no go ...

Hi Bryan,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I tried what you suggested (run xmms midnightblues.pls) but the Xmms player starts and it opens a 'Play files' dialog. I select file 'midnightblues.pls' which contains
    "http://streamer2.midnightblues.com:8020/listen.pls"
    I hit play, nothing happens, I hit 'ADD' the file does not get added to the play list.
    Is it possible my version of xmms does not recognize '.pls' files?
    Perhaps a plugin is needed?

I tried the RealPlayer link (.ram) That seemed to work ,,,somewhat. It would play for 5 seconds, load the buffer for 20 and then play for another 25 seconds, stop and load the buffer again for 20 seconds then play for 10 seconds,,, very choppy. I was using the 128kbps link.... Retrying the 64kbps link would not even connect. My connection is two-way satellite and seems to work fine in windows.

Any other suggestions?

The location of the Midnight Blues pls file is this: http://streamer2.midnightblues.com:8020/listen.pls - Download that file (right click and save) and then do:
    Code:
    xmms listen.pls
    The contents of that file are different from the address.

The Realplayer one sounds like a slow connection on either their part, yours or both.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

jwf

Smile ok now,,

Hmmm, well if I go to the url, and click the pls link, i get a dialog asking if I want to open the link with Xmms, I say yes and bingo! it plays OK.
    Now just have to manually select the stations I want then figure a way to save the radio list.
    btw, xmms plays the radio station without any interruption.

Alas, now I have blues while I work. Great!

jwf
    Hi Brian,
    The right click and save option does not work for me. I get a message tha says:
    " The link could not be saved. The webpage may have beed removed or had it's name changed"

Strange?

jwf

Thumbs up found the culprit in the 'save error'

Well, it seems Konqueror has no problem saving the pls file, and this worked exactly as you suggested.

Seems Firefox had the problem saving the pls file. hmm.

Now i can save the location as separate filenames,, load them into a directory, and save the list in xmms for futire playing.

Thanks Brian!