Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to burn VOB files?

Hi guys, I just upgraded my brother's PC with SUSE Linux 10 a couple of months ago. He had a spare drive with ripped DVD movies (not copyrighted stuff) and didn't have the chance to burn them when he had Windows on it before. I don't know what program he was using before to do this. He's out of the country right now and would like to get this done for him before he got back.

Now he has this drive with a few backups ready to burn. I tried using k3b to burn a data dvd disc but it didn't play in the dvd player with our TV when testing. I'm just wondering what program I would use to burn these files now. And what are the recommendations for future ripping/burning in linux? Thank you.

should be as easy as this

Code:
    mkisofs -dvd-video -o nameofdvd.img /home/bob/dvd/
    growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=x -Z /dev/pathtodvdburner=/home/bob/nameofdvd.img
    where /home/bob/dvd/ contain the video_ts and audio_ts
    this creates an image
    then use growisofs command to burn image to dvd burner

let me know if you have any problems

mkisofs and growisofs can be obtained from dvd+r-tools package
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

k3b should work

I use the command line "dvdauthor" to ensure the vob and other files are in a properly structured video_ts directory. Then its a simple matter to run "k3b", select the option to create a DVD movie, and drag and drop the files into the appropriate directory in k3b. I always use an updated k3b, from either Packman or Guru.

Also BEFORE trying to burn the DVD, I use the program "vlc" to do a quality check, to ensure that the "video_ts" directory is properly structured.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you for the feedback. I tried using k3b and chose create FILE>NEW PROJECT>NEW VIDEO DVD PROJECT.

I dragged all the files in the folder to the VIDEO_TS folder, burned it and then played it on a standard dvd player. It worked but the audio is not adjustable. It is set at a normal hearing level, but I can't crank it up or down.

Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

Standone DVD player problem?

Quote Originally Posted by serpico
    It worked but the audio is not adjustable. It is set at a normal hearing level, but I can't crank it up or down.
    This reads like a problem with your standalone DVD player, and not the DVD you burned. From the very little that I know, the control of the audio volume has nothing to do with the DVD you burned.

Just Joined!
    I tested the dvd on the computer as well, and the volume was limited. Is this something that can be fixed before I burn in k3b?

Smile Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf View Post
    should be as easy as this

Code:
    mkisofs -dvd-video -o nameofdvd.img /home/bob/dvd/
    growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=x -Z /dev/pathtodvdburner=/home/bob/nameofdvd.img
    where /home/bob/dvd/ contain the video_ts and audio_ts
    this creates an image
    then use growisofs command to burn image to dvd burner

let me know if you have any problems

mkisofs and growisofs can be obtained from dvd+r-tools package
    I spent hours trying to get some vob/ifo/bup files to burn using Roxio in Windoze XP Media centre. The only options left to me involved making payments to some third party (and this is where the trial versions just seemed to crash).

I run SuSE 10.1 a VM on XP. In SuSE this is two commands, and they work perfectly first time.

I'd just like to thank you and to thank SuSE.

Next week I will be changing the way my pc works. It will run SuSE as the primary OS. XP can sit in the VM...it's only fair.