Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to be able to forward X11 programs from a cluster I work on to my Suse 9 box. X11 forwarding through SSH is not an option because of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xhost+ ... i know it's bad

I need to be able to forward X11 programs from a cluster I work on to my Suse 9 box. X11 forwarding through SSH is not an option because of the way the cluster and pbs are configured. This means I need to revert back to insecure ways to forward x11. Unfortunatly I have not been able to do this successfully to my suse box but I can to my windows laptop with cygwin.

I have typed xhost+, added all:all to hosts.all, and turned off my firewall on my local machine. On the cluster I have typed export DISPLAY=hostname:0 . This was an initial test to just to see if I could get it working but attempting to run something simple like xterm yields the following error:

"xterm Xt error: Can't open display: hostname:0"

where hostname is my hostname.

What other security settings do I need to change on my linux box?

Yes I know it is insecure so please don't tell me why I shouldn't use xhost unless you know of a better way to do the x11 forwarding that does not require an ssh tunnel.

thanks

I suppoe this doesn't really help you, but I'm having basically the same problem. I've got cygwin running on Win2k and I can run xhost + my.suse.box from there, ssh to my SuSE laptop, export DISPLAY=my.win2k.box:0.0, and open X apps remotely.

I can't get the opposite direction to work though. I can't get X apps running on my windows machine, to open on my SuSE machine. Like you I, tried turing off the firewall.

I guess unless you've figured it out and can help me, we'll just have to comiserate together and drown in our own tears.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?