Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd first like to say that I'm a newbie, so don't assume I know much of anything. Simple directions are appreciated, but any advice you have is OK too ... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iPod in Suse ... can't get it to work?

I'd first like to say that I'm a newbie, so don't assume I know much of anything. Simple directions are appreciated, but any advice you have is OK too ...

I am using SuSE 10.0 with KDE 3.5.0

So, I have a 30G iPod video. SUSE seems to recognise it fine -- when I connect it, it brings up a dialogue asking if I want to open my iPod. If I click OK, then I can see all the files/songs on it, and that's fine. I can't put songs on it that way (that is, in Konqueror). Fine, whatever --
    So I tried using amaroK. But, when I used amaroK to try and transfer some new songs onto my iPod ... it transferred the 3 songs correctly, but afterward my iPod only shows 256 songs when disconnected? (That is, I unmount and disconnect the iPod from the computer entirely, and when I look at my music I only have 256 songs - - as opposed to the 2,000+ I had before.)

I've heard that this is just a glitch with amaroK, and that gtkpod is a workable solution. But, I can't get gtkpod to work? When I try to read files from my iPod, it gives me this message:

'/mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB' does not exist. Import aborted.
    If I try to sync my iPod with my playlist, it gives me the same message ... however, if i look at my iPod's files in Konqueror, it says that iTunesDB is there? So I don't know why gtkpod says it doesn't exist... or how to fix this.

Any help is sincerely appreciated because I have no idea how to make this work ... :/

Just Joined!
    make sure the ipod is mounted on /mnt/ipod

exec the command "mount" in the console and it will tell you where its mounted. if not, you can re-mount it on /mnt/ipod -- you will have to find the device name. it will say from the above (something like /dev/sda, etc.)

Amarok v.1.4

New Amarok on Guru purportedly has an ipod fix:
    http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-...=Sound/amarok/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ehazlett
    make sure the ipod is mounted on /mnt/ipod

exec the command "mount" in the console and it will tell you where its mounted. if not, you can re-mount it on /mnt/ipod -- you will have to find the device name. it will say from the above (something like /dev/sda, etc.)

SuSE probably automounts into /media/, so go into GTKpod and make sure its looking in /media/ipod/ instead of /mnt/ipod