Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have installed SuSE 10, and I can't seem to make my sound card work. This is a laptop, so I can't buy a new soud card. Here's a screenshot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound issues

I have installed SuSE 10, and I can't seem to make my sound card work. This is a laptop, so I can't buy a new soud card. Here's a screenshot if that helps. Please, I'm sort of desperate, any help is very much appreciated. Let me know if you need any kind of further information.

Thanks in advance.

It would help if we knew what kind of sound chipset your laptop uses, or what model and brand name the laptop is.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    It would help if we knew what kind of sound chipset your laptop uses, or what model and brand name the laptop is.
    Sorry, I forgot...

The sound chipset is an Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC880 audio codec. The Laptop is a Packard Bell Notebook W3424.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try opening up a console and typing the following:
    Code:
    su <enter>
    Password: <enter your root/administrator password>
    alsaconf <enter>
    This should bring up a utility that will tell you if your sound card has been detected and ask you if you want to have it configured. Say yes, then open up a mixer (there should be one in the Multimedia section of your applications menu) and make sure none of the channels are muted and the volumes are turned up to a reasonable rate. Then try something with sound again.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Try opening up a console and typing the following:
    Code:
    su <enter>
    Password: <enter your root/administrator password>
    alsaconf <enter>
    This should bring up a utility that will tell you if your sound card has been detected and ask you if you want to have it configured. Say yes, then open up a mixer (there should be one in the Multimedia section of your applications menu) and make sure none of the channels are muted and the volumes are turned up to a reasonable rate. Then try something with sound again.
    Ok, now it's installed, and I can play files, but I can't hear a thing, plus the output bar in the mixer seems to be nowhere... What can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes
    Ok, now it's installed, and I can play files, but I can't hear a thing, plus the output bar in the mixer seems to be nowhere... What can I do?
    Elaborate on "the output bar seems to be nowhere"?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Elaborate on "the output bar seems to be nowhere"?
    Well, when I go to KMix, these are the bars I have available: Microphone, CD and IGain... Nothing else...

Try running alsamixer. It's a command-line mixer program.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Try running alsamixer. It's a command-line mixer program.
    I ran alsamixer -help, but that was not all that explanatory... Any hel on what I should do?

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes
    I ran alsamixer -help, but that was not all that explanatory... Any hel on what I should do?
    Did you try and just run the program first? It's pretty self-explanatory. It shows representations of the various channels available for your sound device and you navigate from one volume slider to the next using your arrow keys. Up turns up the volume, down turns down, etc. If I remember correctly the SPACE bar will mute and unmute the selected channel.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast