Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I followed the instructions, but still the same problem. The computer just restarts and won't bring me to the user welcome/login screen....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I followed the instructions, but still the same problem. The computer just restarts and won't bring me to the user welcome/login screen.
    Linux. Get Counted!! http://counter.li.org/

does it stop at a specific place? if so where?

Also, in my first post when I suggested you resetup your graphics, try setting the video driver to vesa and try selecting the closest monitor which matches your one might do the trick.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

does it stop at a specific place? if so where?
    Previous to this problem, i turn on my cpu and at the grub boot prompt i select SuSE 10 press enter, the screen flashes and the nVidia splash screen shows up then i'm at the linux login screen, i enter my password and KDE starts up. Now, i select SuSE 10 at the grub boot prompt, the screen goes black for a few seconds and the computer restarts and i'm right back to the grub prompt.

try selecting the closest monitor which matches your one might do the trick.
    Funny thing is my exact brand and model (Dell m992) of monitor is already selected here.

I also tried logging in to enlightenment (after selecting failsafe at grub prompt) and got this:

Code:
    Enlightenment can't connect to the display nominated by your 
    shell's DISPLAY environment variable. You may set this variable to 
    indicate which display name Enlightenment is to connect to. It may be 
    that you do not have an xserver already running to serve that 
    Display connection, or that you do not have permission to connect 
    to that display.
    So the problem with "display' shows up again. Does 'display' mean monitor, or video driver?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you told it to boot to runlevel 3 in the /etc/inittab file, X shouldn't load. and you should be booted straight to the command line.

Now that you mention you use a nvidia card, which model is it, and did you try setting the video driver to vesa in sax2?

Now that you mention you use a nvidia card, which model is it, and did you try setting the video driver to vesa in sax2?
    I have a geforce 5200 128mb. I don't know what vesa is, and there is no option for it in sax2 that i can see. Can you give me more info, what it is/what it does?

If you told it to boot to runlevel 3 in the /etc/inittab file, X shouldn't load. and you should be booted straight to the command line.
    Runlevel is definitely set to 3. Is it supposed to boot to the command line after i select SuSe at the boot prompt.? When i boot using failsafe and startx, i have noticed it saying:

Code:
    Skipped services in runlevel 3                nfs acpid smbfs splash
    I really would like to find out what the problem is related to, monitor, monitor settings, video driver... It happened so suddenly, and i keep meticulous records of everything i install/delete/update etc on my computer, so it was a surprise when i discovered this.

Quote Originally Posted by uninvisible
    I don't know what vesa is, and there is no option for it in sax2 that i can see. Can you give me more info, what it is/what it does?
    The vesa driver is the most gneric driver for video cards, all cards should support it. Now, I don't know how different the sax2 is in 10.0 from 9.3, but in 9.3 to set the graphics card dirver to vesa here is what I would do:
    Sax2 -> Desktop -> Graphics Card -> Change Config -> Properties. Under the General heading on left hand side, scroll down to VESA and select Framebuffer.
    Or you could edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and under the Device heading for the graphics card, change the nvidia to vesa.

Quote Originally Posted by uninvisible
    Runlevel is definitely set to 3. Is it supposed to boot to the command line after i select SuSe at the boot prompt.?
    Yes, it should.

Also, did you perform any big updates before this happened, e.g. a kernel upgrade?

I thought i'd make a note for anybody else who might have a similar problem to mine. After trying just about everything, i booted from the DVD and selected 'Repair System'. All i had to do was install the bootloader again, and all was back to normal.

Well, what a wierd solution to the problem, I am glad to hear you got everything working again.

Just Joined!

I have almost same problem

Ok friends, I have almost the same problem with 1 difference. In my case it doesn't reboot itself ,it is just the full black terminal screen ..that's it. I read the threads and I changed my level from 5 to 3. I checked sax2 configurations , I changed everything to optimum and then minimum, it didn't work out. Then I checked if X windows and kdm working or not by using ps aux .... , apparently it didn't turn anything. when I type in 'startx' , boom ,it starts wihout complaining anything. But , I reboot and type startkde , then I get exactly same errors as this friend got in the first place. Thanks for the help

Just Joined!

problem solved in a mysterious way

I realized that somehow ~/.xinitrc file was missing. well we don't necessarily need it but I checked /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc I didn't see the command "exec startkde" .so I created .xinitrc in my home directory and added exec startkde. well guess what it didn;t change anything. then I logged out and changed the splash screen to default and changed the /etc/inittab to level 5 again, everything was normal. unbeliavable huh...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2