Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I downloaded and installed all those files you linked to via Yast, and after I was done, I deleted them. Do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thanks. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I downloaded and installed all those files you linked to via Yast, and after I was done, I deleted them. Do I need to keep them? And apparently, I deleted amaroK because when I was trying to install one of those packages, it said something about conflicts.

But, whatever I did let me play the mp3 file I had on my flash drive and AVI files as well on Kaffeine. But the cd still won't work.

sound

Quote Originally Posted by midnight carnival
    Thanks. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I downloaded and installed all those files you linked to via Yast, and after I was done, I deleted them.
    My apologies for my lack of understanding. When you say you "deleted them", do you mean you deleted the rpm files, or you deleted the installed applications with YaST?

Do I need to keep them? And apparently, I deleted amaroK because when I was trying to install one of those packages, it said something about conflicts.
    You don't need to keep rpms, once they are SUCCESSFULLY installed.

If you had a conflict installing a package, please do not force the installation. Instead post on this forum the message about the conflict, and we will interpret if for you, and help you figure out what you need to do.

If, after a while, you find this dependency/confict issue a pain in the b*tt, then you could give thought to installing a 3rd party Software Package Management application, that will take away a lot of this pain. I use the Smart Software Package Manager myself, and it makes such installations a breeze, as it semi-automatically sorts the dependency problems. Installations that used to take me hours, now take minutes.
    But, whatever I did let me play the mp3 file I had on my flash drive and AVI files as well on Kaffeine. But the cd still won't work.
    Well, playing mp3 files and avi files is progress. As for the cd not playing, well that could be a different kettle of fish, and could be many things. It could involve permissions or it could just be the setup of your appplications. I'm sorry but I'm not competant to answer questions on the CD not playing audio.

Just Joined!
    When I say I deleted them, I meant the rpm files.
    As for the cd not playing, I was using Kaffeine to "Open" then I'd go to storage media and go to the cd and try to play it from there.
    But, it was me that was the problem, not the system. Hahaha. It works now.

Thank you very much.

One last thing. I deleted the old version of firefox and installed the latest version.
    I copied and pasted the shell script icon to the desktop and I want to replace the terminal icon with the firefox one that I had.
    how would I do that?

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S

It works now.
    Great news! Congratulations on getting audio players (and music CDs) to work.

When you have the time, I recommend you try installing Amarok from Guru (with the URL I mentioned) again. I think the general (and current) view is that Amarok is the linux media player with the most features.

One last thing. I deleted the old version of firefox and installed the latest version. I copied and pasted the shell script icon to the desktop and I want to replace the terminal icon with the firefox one that I had.how would I do that?
    Apologies, but optimising the desktop is not one of my strong points. I'm not clear on what you are trying to do, and even if I was, I suspect I could not help. I'm hoping someone else "chimes in" here with a recommended solution.

Linux Newbie
    If xine displayed the error message "xine was unable to initialize any audio-drivers", there probably is some kind of problem with the audio driver setup. Could you post the output of lspci ? That would tell us what sound card you have which, would help us lead you towards instaaling the right driver.

One last thing. I deleted the old version of firefox and installed the latest version.
    I copied and pasted the shell script icon to the desktop and I want to replace the terminal icon with the firefox one that I had.
    how would I do that?
    Ok to do this, what you do is right click on the icon, then select Properties. Now hit the picture and browse to whatever picture you want to replace the present one with.

And kevkim55, if you read through the last few posts, you would have found that midnight carnival solved his/her sound problems.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Just a quick question:
    When I click the firefox shell script in the firefox folder, it launches firefox.
    but when i copy that same shell script icon to the desktop, it doesn't.
    Why not?

debugging

Just a quick question: When I click the firefox shell script in the firefox folder, it launches firefox. but when i copy that same shell script icon to the desktop, it doesn't.
    When ever I encounter these sort of problems, I always check the "properties" of the desktop icon, and compare that to the shell script. I also try launching the application from konsole, and read any error messages.

I also check the KMENU method of launching the application, and see if that works. If it does, I use the KMENU editor to check its launching properties for the application.

Typically by doing that sort of investigation, it will provide the anwer to the question as to why the application does not run from the desktop.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2