Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, having spend a lot of time downloading the suse v10 I need some extra information. I have a 32bit version 5 cd or 1 dvd. = SUSE-10.0-CD-i386-GM-CD1 upto 5.iso ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suse 10 versions32 vs 64bit

hello,

having spend a lot of time downloading the suse v10 I need some extra information.
    I have a 32bit version 5 cd or 1 dvd. = SUSE-10.0-CD-i386-GM-CD1 upto 5.iso & SUSE-10.0-EvalDVD-i386-GM.iso
    I also just completed a 32bit version dvd =SUSE-10.0-EvalDVD-x86_64-GM.iso
    at least i think it is.

I am not an experienced user but I suppose the 64 bit will be faster and more suitable for me. When i installed the first one it said something like "installing a 32 bit on a 64bit system". Only will this version word on an Intel based processor? Sometimes I get the impression its for an amd-processor.

Also i get the message that my energy saving whatever is not installed. Is it still installable and how is it done.

Do I need to instal a virus scanner and can you guide me to a HowTO?

ps I like Linux althoug it still troubles me more than I want to. Certainly for photo work its a lot faster. Maybe to many questions in one go.
    Any answer is appreciated.

Jan

Welcome to the forums jandeschepper,

The 32 bit install will work on a 64-bit processor just fine. And x86_64 should work with a 64-bit Intel processor. If you are unsure, I'd suggest you stick with the 32 bit version as some peripherials and software are still not fully supported in a 64-bit OS most notably Wireless cards and macromedia's Flash plugin.

If you really want some energy saving features, launch Yast and tell it to install acpi or just search for powersave in yast.

Apparaently there are < 50 Linux viruses, and the vast majority of those are proof of concept. As long as you don't surf the net as a superuser (i.e. root) and have strong passwords, you should be fine. The thing with viruses is that they require permissions to mess around with system files, so if a user doesn't have permission then the virus is made redundant.

However, it is wise to have a good firewall installed. SUSE comes with one and it is quite easy to configure.

And don't worry about the "newness" of Linux, after a while it will become very familiar to you and will be more like 2nd nature.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

32 bit ok + handling suse

Hello Alex,

thank you for your reply . I guess is stick with the 32 bit version then and see how to fix the acpi.
    The firewall is by default already active.

Can you guide me to some excellent site to get a better understanding of linux and its scripting abilities?

Kind regards,
    jan

Here are some links for howtos and the like:
    1. TLDP.org howto list Scroll down a bit for Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.
    2. O'Reilly Open Book project

Hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.