Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to add a user so that when they login (using telnet) it doesn't prompt them for a password. We have the user set-up with a blank password ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool telnet login without prompting for a password

Is it possible to add a user so that when they login (using telnet) it doesn't prompt them for a password. We have the user set-up with a blank password right now but it still prompts for a password, and you just hit enter to login, but it would be even better if you could just type in the username and it would log you in. By the way we are running SuSE 9.3

Linux Newbie
    I'm not sure how you are setting it up, but I was able to get it working by adding a user and setting a null password, then 'telnet -l <username> <hostname>'. I did have to manually edit /etc/shadow to remove the password, since even a "blank" password have a value.
    Blog - KB5UMQ - Linux User #272983
    3 Rules:
    1) "It doesn't work..." is simply not useful information.
    2) Don't cross post!
    3) If you are asking for help, start by telling us your distro/os and version.

You've likely heard it before, but just in case...

A far better alternative to telnet is ssh - it's secure(telnet is absolutely not secure), and there's well documented ways to set it up so that a user has their password but doesn't need to enter it on login using public keys. It really is the way to go. Most installs tend to default to not installing a telnet daemon just because it's so awful.

There, civic duty for today done...

DT

Just Joined!
    thnx... I will take it to my customer, I think SSH is the way to go