Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a fairly new Linux user, I have just made the switch from Windows. I just installed SUSE LInux 10.0 on my laptop and on my desktop computer. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question SuSE 10.0 File Sharing/Networking, How to?

I am a fairly new Linux user, I have just made the switch from Windows. I just installed SUSE LInux 10.0 on my laptop and on my desktop computer. My laptop shares the ineternet connection through a wireless router.

What I need to do is set up some type of file sharing so that I can transfer files from my laptop to my desktop computer. I was able to do this fine when I had Windows on my desktop computer and SUSE Linux 10.0 on my laptop.

From my understanding, when trying to network two computers using Linux, I need to use NFS, not SAMBA. Is that correct?

What exactally do I need to do to network these two computers together? Can someone list what I need to do step-by-step, or point me in the right direction? I have looked everywhere online and feel pretty clueless. Im sure its probably not that hard, its just I've never done this before. I appreciate everyone's help!

ssh and fish

Quote Originally Posted by pinguino80
    What I need to do is set up some type of file sharing so that I can transfer files from my laptop to my desktop computer. I was able to do this fine when I had Windows on my desktop computer and SUSE Linux 10.0 on my laptop.

From my understanding, when trying to network two computers using Linux, I need to use NFS, not SAMBA. Is that correct?
    I used to use NFS, but I can't be bothered setting it up now. It also used to slow down my boot, if I had one PC, powered, and the other OFF. And if I booted PCs in the wrong sequence, I sometimes got some funny affects. These "affects" were probably due to my bad setup and misunderstanding, but I could not be bothered (at the time) to learn how to do things properly. So I no longer use NFS.

If both of your SuSE PCs can access the internet via the wireless router, then there is a good chance your SuSE pc can already access each other (assuming you have OpenSSH installed). Ensure SSH is installed. Ensure your SuSE firewall on each PC is open for SSH. Then Open up Konqueror, and in the location bar type:
    fish://user@ip-address-of-linux-pc.

For example, to access my SuSE-10.0 pc from my SuSE-9.3 pc I type:
    fish://oldcpu@192.168.123.152 where that ip addess is the address of my SuSE10.0 pc.

There are parameters for NFS that don't slow things down during boot, we use it here for everything. You can also always manually mount/umount on the fly. For convenience, it can't be beat. However, I would agree, if you're talking about sharing between a laptop and a workstation, NFS wouldn't be my first choice - it's typically intended between systems that are up and connected most of the time.

As you thought, avoid Samba altogether. It's a whole layer you don't need for this.

Oldcpu's suggestion is a good one - it's most likely ssh is installed by default. I'll be honest, I'd never used the "fish:" thing before - I'm a CLI guy - that's cool!

DT

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Similar Issue

Ive got a similar issue, in that I want to be able to share folders betwen two computers. Both these computers access the internet through the same router. one uses winxp and the other uses linspire (debian). how would I go about doing that?

Inelegant, but fast, you can install PSFTP on the Windows end and use sftp as the protocol to transfer. You should be able to log in to the Linux box with your account if the SSL package is installed(ssh, scp, etc).

A more elegant but potentially more time consuming option is to install/config Samba on the Linux end. It talks with Windows in it's own filesharing language. This would allow you to have open shares between the two systems all the time. It will either instantly install for you, or you'll be in config hell. Phases of the moon.

Samba would have come with your distro - you may or may not need to install it.

Don't go the NFS route with Windows - no good free solutions.

DT

smb, ssh and putty

Quote Originally Posted by jamesiniceland
    Ive got a similar issue, in that I want to be able to share folders betwen two computers. Both these computers access the internet through the same router. one uses winxp and the other uses linspire (debian). how would I go about doing that?
    Well, this is a SuSE forum, but I think what works for SuSE should work for Linspire (debian). To access my wife's WinXP pc from my SuSE PC, I use konqueror and "smb". Specifically, I type in the location bar of a konqueror window: smb://192.168.123.154 where that IP address is the IP address of my wife's PC. She had to register the IP address of my SuSE PC as "trusted" in her Zone Alarm firewall, and she also had to network "share" the relevant directories on her WinXP hard drive (providing read/write access).

Quote Originally Posted by DThor
    Inelegant, but fast, you can install PSFTP on the Windows end and use sftp as the protocol to transfer. You should be able to log in to the Linux box with your account if the SSL package is installed(ssh, scp, etc).
    I played with putty for the first time this weekend, and its pretty neat. So I like DThor's suggestion.

You first need openssh (or whatever it is called on Linspire) installed on your Linux PC. You need to open the firewall on your linux PC to ssh transfers. You then run one of the PSFTP putty package on your WinXP pc. Its all command line stuff, but it works pretty good. ... I was impressed!

Just Joined!

huzzah :)

Thanks, Ive had complete success with accessing the Xp machine, no problems there at all. But how do I access the Linux machine from the Xp box?

Well to go back the other way - yup, we're back to Samba, at least for filesharing. That's what Samba is for. If you just want to remote your Linux box, you can use Putty for ssh and/or vnc for full graphical remoting.

putty

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    If you just want to remote your Linux box, you can use Putty for ssh
    I found "putty" works pretty good. Not as polished as Samba, but for a quick and dirty fix, while trying to get Samba running, it does the job.