Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, here goes, i'm totally frusterated with the compatability with Suse 9.1(digi cam, mp3 player, scanner, etc). I want to format my hard drive back to dos and then Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I wish to install Windows on top of Linux

Ok, here goes, i'm totally frusterated with the compatability with Suse 9.1(digi cam, mp3 player, scanner, etc). I want to format my hard drive back to dos and then Windows XP. And then once i have time to research more into Linux come back to suse 10 or whatever is out at the time. I have two hard drives that i have formatted to suse. I have no clue how to bring them back to Windows capabilty.
    People say you can just boot to CD or Disk but i have had no luck doing that. Could be my severe lack of personal brain when it comes to running code through linux. I have created a boot disk (3.5 and cd) neither of which i have figure out how to boot to through Grub.
    All i want to do is format both of the hard drives back to nothing, back to blank so i can fdisk them and then install xp on them. I know that this is probably a sin to post on a linux forum, and i appologize, i'm just to stupid to do this whole code thing.
    all i want is a straight forward FAQ or tutorial onto how to bring these stupid hard drives back to something where i can use dos or windows on.
    Please help

The first thing to do is set your BIOS options so that the CD-ROM boots before the hard disk. Then boot from the Windows XP CD. If that's already done and you're still getting the Grub list, then your CD is probably bad.

If you're able to boot from the Windows CD, then just follow the prompts to format the disk for Windows and install the OS. If Windows complains that it can't find hard disk space to install to, then you'll need something like fips to blank the partition table first, and then start over with the Windows install CD.

BTW, SuSE is up to version 10.1 now. Each new release has a newer kernel, which supports more new hardware (and has better support for old hardware), and unlike Windows, you can update Linux as you go, so there's no planned obsolescence once you're up and running. It might be worth your while to dual-boot and see what you can do with Linux. Fall back to Windows any time you need to, but play with Linux every once in a while. Just make sure you install Windows first; Linux will resize partitions as needed, and will include both itself and Windows in the boot loader.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!

Unhappy

i'd like to boot to bios first, but for some reason my compaq wont' let me. Normally you do it using F2 when your computer is booting up yes? Well when i do that it does't do anything until i get to the standard suse boot from hard drive/floppy/failsafe screen
    Is there a way to get to the ol' dos bios from there?

Please excuse the ignorance. I got into Linux long before i shoudl have

Just Joined!

Angry

sweet, now all i get when i boot up the ol' compy is

Operating system not found on hard drive.

Operation system no found on any devices. Press any key to try again

Now i'm at a total loss, do i just buy a new hard drive and throw these into the river?

Why don't you just boot from XP cdrom and have it format and partition the drive for you? Yes, it will see the partition, and yes you can delete it using XP install cd-rom.

If you want to try SUSE again, try a newer version e.g. 10 or even 10.1 if it is out. In 9.3 everything is autodetected for me camera, mp3, usb flash drive etc...
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by felixatvtc
    i'd like to boot to bios first, but for some reason my compaq wont' let me. Normally you do it using F2 when your computer is booting up yes? Well when i do that it does't do anything until i get to the standard suse boot from hard drive/floppy/failsafe screen
    Is there a way to get to the ol' dos bios from there?

Please excuse the ignorance. I got into Linux long before i shoudl have
    For most computers, you hit Delete while it's running its Power On Self Tests; on a Compaq you might have to hit F10.
    There's certainly no need to ditch the hard drive. We just need to get the CD-ROM to boot, and it should be smooth sailing from there.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

You will probably just have to fdisk it first.
    If fdisk says it cannot delete the partitions, you will need to use delpart.
    Go here to get the delpart partitioning tool.
    Just put the exe on to the floppy that has the fdisk tool on it.
    Boot with it in the drive, when you get to the command prompt, type
    Code:
    delpart
    Then you can fdisk it.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to give it another shot tonight. I got really frusterated and just shut down and walked away the other day.(sometimes i just have to do that to relax).

The reason i thought it was F2 is that's what i need to press to get into the Bios on my Dell. I'll give F10 or Delete a shot tonight and see if that works. I had wondered if the Newer version of Suse (10 or 10.1) would be more plug and play as the software developed. Perhaps i'll end up doing a dual boot once i get things sorted out.

Thanks again and i'll keep you all posted.

To enter the BIOS, jusy look for the message

Hit <some key> to enter setup
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by felixatvtc
    I had wondered if the Newer version of Suse (10 or 10.1) would be more plug and play as the software developed.
    SUSE 10.0 is very good with plug and play. I have only rarely had minor problems with my camera.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast