Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Open SuSE 10.0 on my laptop, with VIA KN266 chipset, S3ProSavage DDR graphics controller, AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+. I used to run with default settings of video card. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A strange problem with graphics card

I have Open SuSE 10.0 on my laptop, with VIA KN266 chipset, S3ProSavage DDR graphics controller, AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+.
    I used to run with default settings of video card. ie, lcd 1024x768 @60Hz.
    Recently, I fumbled across an alternative drivers for S3Prosavage (as the company doesnt supply linux drivers) with www.probo.com . This alternative is available on www.viaarena.com itself.
    Now that I installed this drivers, my graphics card is recognized properly. But, when I choose the usual 24bit depth (16million colors) I see strange 'waves' on the desktop wallpaper. This persists while watching video too. While, if I choose 16bit (thousands of colors) , the waves disappear.
    In Windows it uses true color (32bit), what could be the problem?
    In case there be no solution, please let me know the changes i should make to get back to generic LCD in XF86Config. Or else, I'd be thankful, if someone puts a copy of their XF86config if they are using a generic LCD .

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by neusun001
    But, when I choose the usual 24bit depth (16million colors) I see strange 'waves' on the desktop wallpaper. This persists while watching video too. While, if I choose 16bit (thousands of colors) , the waves disappear.
    In Windows it uses true color (32bit), what could be the problem?
    There actually is no such thing as true "32-bit" color, it's just 24-bit color with 8 zeroes padded onto it. 24-bit color in Linux is functionally identical to "32-bit" color in MS Windows.

In case there be no solution, please let me know the changes i should make to get back to generic LCD in XF86Config. Or else, I'd be thankful, if someone puts a copy of their XF86config if they are using a generic LCD .

Thank you
    You should be able to do this by regenerating your XF86Config file using the xf86config command. Simply choose an LCD monitor that fits your max resolution and sync ratio, save, and try again.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks for an immediate reply.
    I'm aware of the fact that 32 is infact 24. but 24 is not looking good and that is my problem. is there any other adjustments to be made to avoid this "waves" when drawing solid colors?
    please do reply.

thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close