Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
You can't merge partitions if that is what you are asking. First highlight your harddrive. Then hit add. In the new menu which pops up format it as Reiser. Under ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You can't merge partitions if that is what you are asking.

First highlight your harddrive. Then hit add. In the new menu which pops up format it as Reiser. Under Mount point tell it to mount to /data (you may have to type it in). If you select some other mount point in the list, it may screw up that "folder" in your present partitioning scheme e.g. /usr or /home.

Then hit ok -> apply, it will format it and mount it upon next reboot (from memory).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    You can't merge partitions if that is what you are asking.

First highlight your harddrive. Then hit add. In the new menu which pops up format it as Reiser. Under Mount point tell it to mount to /data (you may have to type it in). If you select some other mount point in the list, it may screw up that "folder" in your present partitioning scheme e.g. /usr or /home.

Then hit ok -> apply, it will format it and mount it upon next reboot (from memory).
    hmm i created a new partition in reiser format and changed mount point to /data and it appeared in "My Computer" but... I cant mount it nor can I copy any files to it. When I try to mount it a balloon pops up and then disappears, its too quick to read the error message. Any Ideas?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by LordG
    hmm i created a new partition in reiser format and changed mount point to /data and it appeared in "My Computer" but... I cant mount it nor can I copy any files to it. When I try to mount it a balloon pops up and then disappears, its too quick to read the error message. Any Ideas?
    edit"Sorry, Sorry I forgot to reboot.

Just Joined!
    have you tried adding it to /etc/fstab? with it added to fstab try 'mount -a'

Just Joined!
    edit"Sorry, Sorry I forgot to reboot.
    is it mounting for you now then?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwbell
    is it mounting for you now then?
    yes it is but I still cant copy any files to it or anywhere else for that matter. It keeps saying I have no access.

Ever since Ive done this the clock has disappeared from the taskbar and my mousewheel doesent work.

Just Joined!
    yes it is but I still cant copy any files to it or anywhere else for that matter. It keeps saying I have no access.

Ever since Ive done this the clock has disappeared from the taskbar and my mousewheel doesent work.
    crazy!

to get the clock back, right click on the taskbar -> add applet and select clock. right click on the clock select configure to set it up how you like.

the mouse, open yast select hardware on the left then mouse model on the right. Make sure that it has the right model mouse and that the option for mouse wheel is selected.

would you please post your fstab (located at /etc/fstab) file and tell us the partition in question so we can see if it is mounted correctly. It should probably look like this (with hda2 being changed to whatever your partition is called):

/dev/hda2 /data reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1

backup fstab before changing. after changing type mount -a from command line.

BTW it's tough learning a new OS but it gets easier quickly and is worth the effort. No os is the best choice for every job so having options makes using your computer better in the long run.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwbell
    crazy!

to get the clock back, right click on the taskbar -> add applet and select clock. right click on the clock select configure to set it up how you like.

the mouse, open yast select hardware on the left then mouse model on the right. Make sure that it has the right model mouse and that the option for mouse wheel is selected.

would you please post your fstab (located at /etc/fstab) file and tell us the partition in question so we can see if it is mounted correctly. It should probably look like this (with hda2 being changed to whatever your partition is called):

/dev/hda2 /data reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1

backup fstab before changing. after changing type mount -a from command line.

BTW it's tough learning a new OS but it gets easier quickly and is worth the effort. No os is the best choice for every job so having options makes using your computer better in the long run.
    I don't know how to copy the text from that location it says new tabs or other tabs. Its listed as hda5 and hda6.

Can you post the output from this command"
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    that is lowercase L and not 1.

From that find the name of your newly created partition e.g. /dev/hdaX where X is some number. Finally add it to the /etc/fstab like so:
    Code:
    su -
    pico /etc/fstab
    Then add the following line to it:
    /dev/hdaX /data reiserfs rw,users,user_xattr 0 0
    Last edited by AlexK; 02-26-2006 at 07:55 AM.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=AlexK]Can you post the output from this command"
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    that is lowercase L and not 1.

result: No such file or directory.

Then add the following line to it:
    /dev/hdaX /data reiserfs rw,users,user_xattr 0 0
    You guys have lost me.
    I cant even add text to that file nor can I copy text so that i can post here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast