Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
try doing it as root Code: su (press enter) root password here fdisk -l...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

try doing it as root
    Code:
    su (press enter)
    root password here
    fdisk -l
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    /dev/sda6 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocha rset=utf8 0 0
    none /subdomain subdomainfs noauto 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /data reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2

YAY i worked it out, you have to manually go up to file then choose copy.

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80032038912 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9730 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 1275 10241406 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 1276 9730 67914787+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 1276 1406 1052226 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6 1407 9730 66862498+ 83 Linux
    dhcppc0:/home/

so it works now?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    so it works now?
    yes but I still need to merge it and also it asks for a password when copying files to the partition. obviously this is not a system critical folder or anything so why do I have to enter my password?

actuall no it doesent work it did in my last install but now a fresh SUSE install I cant mount it and when I try to access services/storage media a small orange icon appears inside the actual icon as if working but nothing ever happens.

try changing /dev/sda1 /data reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
    to
    /dev/sda1 /data reiserfs acl,user_xattr,umask=0000 1 2

Just Joined!
    It's odd for me to find this post because I came here to ask this exact same question. I just installed SuSe 10 on an old 20GB hard drive I had that had WinNT, which took up about 8GB. I'm much more used to Red Hat's installer, which gives you the option to delete/create/manage partitions right up front before the OS install begins. I was expecting the SuSe install to do the same, but I didn't realize until after it finished that it didn't give me any partition options at all.

So now I have a 7.8GB FAT16 partition that is basically unusable to me. I was hoping to find a way to add that 7.8GB to my existing Linux partition that is mounted at /. I don't want it to be a separate partition, I just want to increase the size of my partition at /. It seems from what I've read in this post that this isn't possible (and I noticed in Expert Partitioner that the resize option only lets me decrease my root partition, even after deleting the FAT16 and freeing up the space).

If this is true, then I think I'm just going to completely remove all partitions from the HD and reinstall SuSe 10 again, since it's only been 2 days since I first installed it.

alienmagic, SUSE does give you an option to partition during install. At the installation page where all the "links" are, just click on partitioning then expert settings to customise the way you want your system partitioned.

And as was posted before, you can't merge partitions i.e. extend the size of the / partition by merging it with another partition.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    alienmagic, SUSE does give you an option to partition during install. At the installation page where all the "links" are, just click on partitioning then expert settings to customise the way you want your system partitioned.
    I completely missed that. I do remember having the option to change configs, but b/c of my experience with RH, I was expecting it to prompt me for partitions. Thanks for the info, that should get me in the right direction. Like I said, I think I'll reinstall since the merge can't be done. It's always a good time reinstalling anyway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3