Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have gone from a windows installation to SUSE 10 and the old windows partition still remains. I want to add that partition to my current SUSE one. Is there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Free Partition Manager?

I have gone from a windows installation to SUSE 10 and the old windows partition still remains. I want to add that partition to my current SUSE one.

Is there a free partition manager available for Linux?

oz
    forum.guy
    Sure, have a look at this post:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...tition+manager

oz
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Sure, have a look at this post:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...tition+manager

oz
    Thanks but the one for linux is just a bunch of files and the other was for windows. I need an one that I can install properly for linux

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    You might want to take another look. There are two different apps there for Linux, and each app is just one file. Parted is for commandline, and Qtparted is for GUI users. You can ignore the Windows app if you are only interested in one for Linux.

oz
    Last edited by oz; 02-26-2006 at 03:14 AM.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    You might want to take another look. There are two different apps there for Linux, and each app is just one file. Parted is for commandline, and Qtparted is for GUI users. You can ignore the Windows app if you are only interested in one for Linux.

oz
    the name of the file I got is "qtparted-0.4.5.tar.bz2" when i open it it just contains a whole heap of files which I cant install. What is the name of the one I should have gotten?

Since you are using SUSE, Yast -> System -> Partitioner should do the trick for you.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are running suse, you can probably just download and install it using yast. I think suse has it already packaged and that would be the easier path to take, rather than trying to install it from a tarball.

<edit> oops, AlexK hit ENTER before I could.

ozar
    oz

Just Joined!
    you got the right one. A tar.bz2 is like a zip file, look for a file inside called install or readme. read those files to find out how to install. You may just need to extract it.

Just Joined!
    I downloaded the file and took a look. There is an install file that has the install details. you will have to extract, then from command line cd to the extracted folder then ./configure when that's done type make hit enter and it will install.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Since you are using SUSE, Yast -> System -> Partitioner should do the trick for you.
    woiw this OS has everything. I deleted the partition but now I cant figure out how to add the freed up space to my currently mounted linux partition

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast