Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have d/l essential codecs for mplayer but the install directory contained in the readme doesnt exist on my computer?? I have totem which is a frontend for mplayer I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

media player

I have d/l essential codecs for mplayer but the install directory contained in the readme doesnt exist on my computer??

I have totem which is a frontend for mplayer I beleive, please correct me if Im wrong and I want to watch .mov and .avi video files. I have a supeman trailer with the .mov extension and it refuses to play. Any help regarding playing video on SuSE 10 would be appreciated.

You must create the directory. As root:
    Code:
    mkdir /usr/lib/codecs
    Once the directory is created, place the codecs inside. So Xine can find them, symlink to the codecs directory from win32...
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/lib/codecs /usr/lib/win32
    EDIT: SuSE may already have a win32 directory you can install the codecs to. If so, place the codecs there and just make the symlink the other way...
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/lib/win32 /usr/lib/codecs
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 02-27-2006 at 03:42 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    EDIT: SuSE may already have a win32 directory you can install the codecs to. If so, place the codecs there and just make the symlink the other way...
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/lib/win32 /usr/lib/codecs
    so i type that stuff in the console do I?

Not being sure what you have or have not done, I'll just start from the beginning. Did you download all-20050412.tar.bz2 from here? If so, you have to unzip this file. From the command line...
    Code:
    bunzip2 all-20050412.tar.bz2
    This will leave you with a file called all-20050412.tar. We have to 'untar' it...
    Code:
    tar xvf all-20050412.tar
    Now let's create the 'codecs' directory. First, become root:
    Code:
    su
    ...and press enter. It will ask for root's password. Enter it and again press enter. You should now be 'root.' Make the directory where we are going to copy the codecs to...
    Code:
    mkdir /usr/lib/codecs
    We can now do the rest of the work from the konqueror file browser, (although you can also do it from the command line). To open the file all-20050412 in konqueror as root...
    Code:
    konqueror all-20050412
    If that doesn't work, type:
    Code:
    exit
    ...and press enter. This will make you regular user again instead of root. Now go:
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror all-20050412
    You will be asked for root's password again. Enter it and press enter. You should now have the file 'all-20050412' open in the konqueror file browser as root and should see the codecs within. Copy these in the similar way you do in Windows, then type: /usr/lib/codecs into the konqueror address window and press enter. Once inside the codecs directory, paste the codecs, then close konqueror. Now make the symlink:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/lib/codecs /usr/lib/win32
    I hope I didn't miss anything. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 02-27-2006 at 01:01 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here