Find the answer to your Linux question:
Me again. I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that I have installed SuSe 10 on. I was wondering if there is a way to configure the multimedia buttons on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptop buttons

Me again.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that I have installed SuSe 10 on. I was wondering if there is a way to configure the multimedia buttons on my keyboard to play, stop, etc., as well as adjust my volume.

Thanks.

There sure is. When I get home tonight I will post up my configuration, but if you are using KDE te quickest way to get up and running is to go to the keyboard settings in KDE Control Centre and set your keyboard layout to Trust Wireless Keyboard. The inspiron setup there is for 1xxx and 5xxx series. When I post back I will show you how to set up KHotkeys to use these buttons for media players. In fact there are a few threads about this already, if you run a search on the forum. There are more detailed instructions about how to set up xorg.conf so that all window managers see your keys.

I will update later,
    Tom.

Okay the first thing is to backup your existing xorg.conf.
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/xorg.conf.backup
    This will backup the file to you home directory after you provide the root password. You can then edit the original xorg.conf as root and change the identifier as follows -
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver       "kbd"
      Identifier   "Keyboard[0]"
      Option       "Protocol" "Standard"
      Option       "XkbLayout" "gb"
      Option       "XkbModel" "pc105"
      Option       "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    EndSection
    is changed to
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver       "kbd"
      Identifier   "Keyboard[0]"
      Option       "Protocol" "Standard"
      Option       "XkbLayout" "gb"
      Option       "XkbModel" "inet"
      Option       "XkbVariant" "Trust Wireless Keyboard Classic"
      Option       "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    EndSection
    This should then allow you to see button presses. You can test this by running xev from the command line. (You will need to restart your X server to see the effects). Once this is done you will be anle to set up your preferences in Khotkeys in KDE Control Centre, or if you are using Gnome in Gnome Configurator.

Here are a few links for you, some for KHotkeys. When you are configuring KHotkeys open the application you want to control and use kdcop to see what the available commands are. Post back if you have any questions.

KHotkeys (Volume
    KHotkeys Multimedia (HP)