Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed mysql-4.1.18 from mysql.com downloads after downloading the source file (tar.gz). I want to re-install the server and client as I have made a few errors and want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uninstall MySQL-4.1.18

I installed mysql-4.1.18 from mysql.com downloads after downloading the source file (tar.gz).
    I want to re-install the server and client as I have made a few errors and want to fix the installation by installing it properly.

Can anyone give a clear way to un-install mysql, or is there more to it than stopping the service and removing all the files and directories created during the installation (I am not sure if I know where all the files and directories were created)?

Thanks for any help

Just Joined!

Uninstall MySQL-4.1.18 from SuSe-9.3

If anyone had the same or similar question, this is what I did, which seemed to work:

1. Stopped the mysql daemon ('/etc/init.d/mysql.server stop' AS root)
    2. found all mysql related files and directories ('find / -name mysql' also as root)
    3. removed all files and directories pertaining to mysql ('rm -R [PATH TO MYSQL FILES AND DIRS]')
    4. I left the docs directory and contents in place as I didn't want to have to re-download these.
    5. I was now able to install from scratch without any preconfigured parameters etc.

If anyone knows of anything I have done that will upset the apple cart, please let me know (and anyone else who may try this), but the above seemed to work fine.

cheers