Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm after urgent help if anyone can: I had a Sun box fail at our local school and I've replaced it with a SuSE 10 box. Their internet site ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Routing problem: SuSE 10

Hi, I'm after urgent help if anyone can:

I had a Sun box fail at our local school and I've replaced it with a SuSE 10 box. Their internet site and sendmail etc is all fine, but they can't access the internet. They used their old Sun box as a gateway: 10.0.0.0 on the lan and a real class c on the public side. I've set the linux box up the same, but it won't route.

I can access their public ip from outside. But from their lan on a 10.x.x.x address I can ping 10.0.0.1 (the 2nd NIC) but I can't ping the public NIC.

From an SSH session on the server, I can ping anywhere.

Routing is enabled.

Any ideas what's up with it? What route(s) do I need to put in the routing config via yast? I've tried: 10.0.0.0 -> 10.0.0.1 but that doesn't work either.

Any help gratefully accepted as I've given in....

Nik

Linux Enthusiast
    Routing tables on the gateway should be fairly simple, a reference for the LAN, one for the WAN and possibly a default gateway on the WAN side. Have you checked if ip_forward is set?

Code:
    root@dorlf:~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    I'm not sure how to set this properly in Yast, but as root you can just do

Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    If that fixes it then we can look at making it persist across reboots.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    ip_forward is set to 1 as I've just ssh'd in and checked it....

More info:

If I connect a laptop to the 10.0.0.1 NIC with a cross over cable, I can get on the internet through the SuSE box. So that proves that the box is routing.

But gives me a bigger problem, why when it's plugged in to a netgear switch does it not work??? I have tried a cisco switch too, so we haven't got faulty equipment.

An example workstation that doesn't connect (via the switch) is 10.0.12.48 255.255.0.0. They have several ranges at the third octet, and the subnet is always a class B.

What should the subnet mask on the 10.0.0.1 NIC on the SuSE box be set to? Also, the route: 10.0.0.0 -> 10.0.0.1 - what should it's subnet be? I'm wondering if it's something silly like subnetting....

tnx, Nick