Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HELP! My web browsers are lagging... images load slow, pages scroll VERRRY SLOW, no matter which browser I use, (Firefox, Mozilla, Epiphany, Konqueror) & no matter which window manager/desktop environment. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation My web browsers seem to lagg... help

HELP! My web browsers are lagging... images load slow, pages scroll VERRRY SLOW, no matter which browser I use, (Firefox, Mozilla, Epiphany, Konqueror) & no matter which window manager/desktop environment. I have a 3Mbs/768Kbs DSL connection, so thats definitly not it, I've used other distro's and when I boot Windoze I don't have any problems, but since I first booted SuSE last week, my browsers have lagged. Could it be my firewall?.....doubtfull huh? PLEASE HELP T/Y

some people report that turning off IPv6 on their systems improves their speed. Do a search on these forums for slow browsing or IPv6 and try the suggestions in those threads.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

wellp, turned it off...
    (/etc/modprobe.conf
    alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off)

and no difference. so I installed firefox 1.5 (prev. v1.0.7) and web pages load like they should, but pages still scroll SLOW, and my other browsers still load slow, this is getting on my nerves. (and i turned my firewall off, like that was gonna do somthing, HA nothing)

I've been having problems with booting since I installed SuSE and I haven't even gotten around to figure that out yet, so I think I'm going to get my Mandriva 06 CD's out and scrap SuSE for now, I'd like to see if they have messed up Mandrake any more.

Problem solved, but I'm not gonna be using Mandr... Mandriva 2006 very long.

Linux Newbie

Smile Slow browsing

I don't know what the cause of your problem is but I use Suse 10 with firefox
    and find it faster than windows xp. We would need more information to help
    solve your particular problem.

It was probably because my P3 450mhz, and don't say RAM, ihave 384mb RAM & 800mb SWAP, my swap is hardly ever used, & my RAM is usualy half cache. Oh, and it wasn't just Firefox, read closer.

Linux Newbie

Smile Read closer

I read closer and realised that your problem is not just with firefox. I just gave that as a typical example. Like many people who post here
    you don't give enough information. What other web browsers did you
    try? Did other programs run slowly - give an example. How about the
    file browser, was that running really slowly? We can help you to solve
    your problem but if you don't have the patience needed to find a
    solution then its best to forget the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by YoKe
    HELP! My web browsers are lagging... images load slow, pages scroll VERRRY SLOW, no matter which browser I use, (Firefox, Mozilla, Epiphany, Konqueror) & no matter which window manager/desktop environment. I have a 3Mbs/768Kbs DSL connection, so thats definitly not it, I've used other distro's and when I boot Windoze I don't have any problems, but since I first booted SuSE last week, my browsers have lagged. Could it be my firewall?.....doubtfull huh? PLEASE HELP T/Y
    yes, i've been experiencing the same, however more specifically/noticeably with mozilla firefox, i'm running suse 10.0 on a p4 2.4 ghz sys w/768 ram and equal swap w/200gb hd on a dual boot w/win xp sp2, and DSL connection. IE in xp seems to be running fine, but I can't say the same for mozilla in suse. Bare in mind, this lag is not including any other apps or net apps, d/l prog's running, we're speaking solely about mozilla.

I have to wait quite a bit of time while mozilla "transfers" data or "waiting", i'm using ver 1.0.7. doesn't usually matter what kind of content i'm viewing. when I say "lag" i mean atleast a good 7 - 10 sec wait, if not more, before anything starts to appear on the page from the moment the link is clicked. Konquerer doesn't seem to be so bad, it lags probably no more than 1-2 seconds.

I prefer to use firefox b/c i'm so used to it, can u advise a fix/resolution?

note: i'm a newbie to suse 10.0, so please explain step by step...

Linux Newbie

Smile Slow browsing

OK since Konqueror is much faster than Firefox this would seem to be a sign
    that you are suffering from the slow browser problem. There are various
    solutions for this and different ones seem to work for different people.
    1. Turn off IPv6 like this.
    Enter these 2 lines into the '/etc/modprobe.conf.local' file
    alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off
    (N.B. you must enter these commands into the correct file. If you enter them
    into /etc/modprobe.conf and you are using DHCP to get an IP address then they probably won't work because the file you edit gets overwritten at each
    bootup).

2.Enter the IP addresses of your ISP's nameservers into the /etc/resolv.conf
    file. You can get these addresses from your ISP, there are usually 2 of them.
    Then enter in the resolve.conf file
    'nameserver 210.201.1.2' etc. (but don't include the quote marks).

3. What router are you using to connect to the internet. Has it been
    upgraded to the latest software.

I found that either 2 or 3 worked for me. Originally Firefox was so slow on
    my system that it always timed out before connecting to any site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast