Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
just out of curiosity, what does grub.conf contain and how are your disks setup? During the SUSE install, isn't there a way to tell it to look at a particular ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

just out of curiosity, what does grub.conf contain and how are your disks setup?

During the SUSE install, isn't there a way to tell it to look at a particular partition to repair?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

well i have two hard discs master has suse on it other one has windows.. well its not master and slave there cable select but how their plugged in is that way. i cant get to my grub.conf file beu i know the linux one is default and i changed to windows one to something like this
    Code:
     map (hd0) (hd1)
     map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    and yeah there is a way to point it to the correct partition.. the thing is it dossnt see a valid root partition.. so i cant do that.....
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

that looks fine zacam87. One more thing you can try as the way you built the reiser tree before was using knoppix's version of reiserfsprogs. Perhaps this way may work to get SUSE to recognize its own reiser partition by using SUSE's version of reiserfsprogs:
    Code:
    su -
    mount -o rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    chroot /mnt/hda1 /bin/bash
    reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/hda1
    this way we would use SUSE's own version of reiserfsprogs to rebuild the reiser tree. Once the rebuilding is done just tell SUSE to do a repair install.

Also replace hda1 as necessary.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zacam87
    ok t hianks i tried that.. rebuilt my tree.. now when i boot it scrolls really fast and then the last thing before it says "init 5 cannot run process" is it was trying to run some process called "mingetty" i beleive.. thats thew same thing it said before i rebuilt the reiser tree... hmm....
    zacam87, I just had similar situation with my Debian: it would complain about something like -- Kernel Panic .., root partition is not accessible, and that it cannot start console... In my situation, I had messed with drives's cables (needed to connect laptop drives to my desktop system to copy some partitions), and until I connected all the drives back in the original order, I could not start Debian. Now it booted fine. So, maybe when you changed your bootloader configuration it confused BIOS somehow, and now it detects and boots drives in different order, which prevents Linux from booting properly. I just thought this could give you some ideas that would help you solve your problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2