Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok so i boot up today and like nothing works.. it wont even boot... it says init4 cant boot toomany processes try again in 5 minuites... so i try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SuSE won't boot

ok so i boot up today and like nothing works.. it wont even boot... it says init4 cant boot toomany processes try again in 5 minuites... so i try to see if i can repair something.. and it says it cant find a valid root partiotion... WTF?! i cant get into it, i cant fix it, i cant do anyhitng! im so pissed off!! lost a year worth of data, code, and personal projects, not to mention i had everyhting all tweaked out how i wanted it... how the hell could this have happened....? i accually am depressed now..... -ZAc
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

Whoa!! You need to make an immediate sacrifice to the Tron God!

What are your system specs?

Linux Enthusiast
    Try mounting your partition from Knoppix CD. Chances are it's still accessible, just does not boot. If so, then you can copy the data to another drive or computer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    zacam87, follow pavlo_7's suggestion to use Knoppix to get back whatever data you can.

Now can it boot into failsafe? Did you change anything recently? During boot, can you see a message about ReiserFS being corrupted (if you use Reiser as the file system)?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

When you get your root partition mounted, empty out your /tmp directory. If that is full it can cause all sorts of problems, but this may be a little more serious.

well like... the LAST thing i did was edit a grub boot file to dual boot between windows and suse.. nothing outof the ordanary and ive done it probably 45 times now... then i tryed to boot up and it just wont boot.. so i popped in the suse install cd and had it say repair then had it scan for stuff and it said my /root partition was corrupted and it cant be fixed... ill try the knoppix thing though good thinking... im just mad kause i spent an entire weekend getting everything all coustomised and i recompiled a new kernel and stuff... i was seriousally depressed and now that im thinking about it again im not feeling too well... i know this is sad but i kinda feel like i did when i broke up with my girlfriend of 2 1/2 years.... {8^\ -Zac

p.s no it cannot boot into fail safe
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

zacam87, see what you can do with Knoppix. But there is a way to repair a corrupted ReiserFS system, be warned that some file loss may occur.

To repair a ReiserFS system, just execute this command as root:
    Code:
    reiserfsck --rebuild-tree name_of_partition
    replace name_of_partition with with something like /dev/hda1 i.e. your SUSE partition.

ok t hianks i tried that.. rebuilt my tree.. now when i boot it scrolls really fast and then the last thing before it says "init 5 cannot run process" is it was trying to run some process called "mingetty" i beleive.. thats thew same thing it said before i rebuilt the reiser tree... hmm.... i want to get htis fixed but i may just have to wait till FC5 comes out and try it before i reinstall suse.... man.. this sucks.. {8^( -ZAc

anyone what mingetty is?

my understanding of mingetty is rather minimal, but i think it is something like a terminal of sorts.

zacam87, what about trying the repair install of SUSE now that the Reiser partition is no longer corrupted.

yeah good thinking... (i thought the same thing) so i did that and tryed the repair.. but it said it could not dectect a valid root partition and to check t0 make sure linux was installed on my system. wtf? i mean i diddnt even do anyhitng to make any of this happen..... like i edited a grub file booted into windows, restarted then 2 days later i try to boot up and it does this... it just dossnt make andy logical sence.... -ZAc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast