Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have had SuSE 10 installed now for about a week and thought I would have had these basic functions working by now: 1: Mozilla keeps crashing back to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Major Problems Here

I have had SuSE 10 installed now for about a week and thought I would have had these basic functions working by now:

1: Mozilla keeps crashing back to the desktop
    2: I cant create any profile for my email in KDE. I get a crash as soon as I try.
    3: No Sound, spdif not working
    4: No TV-Out
    5: P2P & Torrent Clients Not Working. aMule reports an error and Ktorrent and Azereus make my connection drop after working for 30 seconds requiring a restart.

To me these are critical but basic functions that I need fully operational. I have started many threads and tried many things. Please can someone help me?

Linux Newbie

Smile Not working

Lets backtrack a little. How did you install Suse? Did you buy a copy or did
    you download and make CD/DVDs? If you downloaded how did you ensure that
    the CDs or DVDs weren't corrupted.

Just Joined!
    Think i might be able to help get your sound working. I had trouble with it at first. If you look at the sound mixer, under 'switches', theres one marked 'external amplifier', which is on by default. Turn it off, and it should solve it.

which version 10 did you get? 10.0 / 10.1?
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Just Joined!
    I had a little experience with firefox crashing. I tried to start firefox from terminal. It read some error with the X window configuration. I suggest you to look whether the graphics card is correctly identified. perhaps that might be a reason.
    for the rest, i'm sorry.. no idea

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by muha
    which version 10 did you get? 10.0 / 10.1?
    I downloade the 10.0 DVD iso. I'm pretty sure its not corrupted as it installed without a hitch and everything else works fine. Its just TV-Out, Torrent, Spdif, Kmail which was working fine on my first couple of installs. I have since downloaded a new firefox (1.5) which I run from its extracted folder on the desktop since it didnt come with an installer. It works great however.

I doubt very much that the .iso was corrupted. Just in case, I will d/l a new copy and do another install later on. In the meantime Im sure with a little more help Ill be able to get this install running perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LordG
    I doubt very much that the .iso was corrupted. Just in case, I will d/l a new copy and do another install later on.
    Just check the md5sum!
    When you download something, check the md5sum against the download.
    Burn it, check the md5sum again. No need to re-download if the md5sums are ok!

/edit: here's what i did with my download:
    After a download you may want to check whether the file has come through properly.
    Code:
    md5sum file.txt
    displays the md5sum for files (and can take a long time for big files). Check this number against the MD5SUMS (or a name like it) file which could
    be on the server you have downloaded that file from.

If you want to match to md5sum directly (instead of checking by eye) use:
    Code:
    md5sum -c foobar.md5
    or in our case
    Code:
    md5sum -c md5sums
    (so you don't have to list the actual downloaded file in this command since it searches it from the md5sums-file)
    It gives a lot of output:
    SUSE-10.0-EvalDVD-i386-GM.iso: OK
    md5sum: SUSE-10.0-EvalDVD-i386-GM.iso.torrent: No such file or directory
    SUSE-10.0-EvalDVD-i386-GM.iso.torrent: FAILED open or read
    But the message we are interested in is the OK, don't bother about the rest of the files which weren't present.

To check the md5sum from the just burned dvd:
    Code:
    md5sum /dev/dvd
    If this doesn't work try the next solution:
    http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux...ly/014002.html
    I suspect you'll find that it'll be reading trailing zeros/nuls/rubbish at the end, which changes the MD5 hash.
    There might be a prettier way, but try:
    * finding the size of the ISO in bytes
    * dd if=/dev/hdc | head --bytes=<size> | md5sum
    Example:
    Code:
    $ :~> dd if=/dev/dvd | head --bytes=3621957632 | md5sum
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Possibly unrelated but have you upgraded any of the packages? Specifically gtk2 - i've found that upgrading this past the version on the ISO causes issues with most gtk packages (Mozilla included).
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by PsypherPunk
    Possibly unrelated but have you upgraded any of the packages? Specifically gtk2 - i've found that upgrading this past the version on the ISO causes issues with most gtk packages (Mozilla included).
    I'm not quite sure what gtk2 is but I have done a lot of updates with repositories and general system updates.

Linux Newbie

Smile Updates

Your non-working sound is a separate problem. We can help you with that if
    you post details of your sound hardware and also check in YaST how the
    soundcard is configured. What driver module is it using.
    In general you check your download by using the MD5SUM program. When you
    write the file to a DVD you should turn on the 'verify after write' flag in your DVD
    writing software.
    Official updates supplied through YaST should not cause any problems but you
    need to be careful about the repositories you use. They should only be the
    official Suse ones. Packman type repositories can cause problems since they
    may persuade you to upgrade to the latest version of a package and the
    upgrade may not be compatible with Suse 10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast