Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for some convinient and relatively cheap methods to back up the data on my linux machines. The way I am interested in now is to use some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse Professional 9.0 and USB hard drives

I am looking for some convinient and relatively cheap methods to back up the data on my linux machines. The way I am interested in now is to use some USB hard drives as the backup device and use rsync to create a snapshot of all my data.

There are quite a few usb hard drives available on the market, I am now particularly interested in the Maxtor Turbo III 1TB. But I could not find any information about its compatibilty with the Suse9.0. I appreciate it very much if anyone can give me some suggestions or point me to the right direction.

Many many thanks.

m. ken

If you're looking for relatively cheap backups, have you considered using optical media instead? A decent DVD+/-RW drive these days is quite cheap, and the media is also not all that expensive, unless you're looking for stuff to archive for the next 50 years. Most Linux distros (though I'm not sure about SuSE 9.0, it's a bit old) offer DVD burning ability via programs like K3B.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

SuSE 9.0 and Maxtor raid external hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    If you're looking for relatively cheap backups, have you considered using optical media instead? A decent DVD+/-RW drive these days is quite cheap, and the media is also not all that expensive, unless you're looking for stuff to archive for the next 50 years. Most Linux distros (though I'm not sure about SuSE 9.0, it's a bit old) offer DVD burning ability via programs like K3B.
    Thank you for your reply. I am actually look for a simple backup method for my group. We do generate a large amout of data and burning DVDs is not possible. We are looking for a backup system which can do a diff snapshot every day or even every few hours to keep several copies of the same file modified at different time. That's why we are looking for rsync and a 1TB raid external hard drive.

I saw a post in this forum regarding their problems about SuSE and a raid0 hard drive. But no answers have been given and that really concerns me since I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a 1TB drive but can not use it.

I would appreciate any comments and instructions. Many thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ken20
    I saw a post in this forum regarding their problems about SuSE and a raid0 hard drive. But no answers have been given and that really concerns me since I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a 1TB drive but can not use it.

I would appreciate any comments and instructions. Many thanks.
    Yes, RAID isn't something I've dealt with personally with Linux, but there have been a lot of threads about it on this forum and none were terribly constructive. The general opinion I get is that it's very hard to do, if not impossible.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Setting up RAID can be a pain, depending on all sorts of issues, but I'd start here, and here. I've had no troubles whatsoever setting up a *hardware* raid with SUSE and LVM, but of course going the software route requires getting compatible hardware. That's covered in the first link.

You should also consider the speed issues, going external over USB. With RAID, you get what you pay for, as always. RAID 0, of course, isn't really *R*AID, it's "AID" - there's no redundancy. All you're getting is the ability to stripe several drives into one huge one. How will that work with USB on Linux I wonder? I'm not clear how that works, or even if it can. Where you expecting to purchase several smaller drives, or an all-in-one hardware RAID unit?

You want convenient and cheap. Hmmm, that could be tricky.

DT

TBD
    Hi, ken20

SUSE Linux 9.3 and later's installation kernel, has a better selection of the required RAID drivers than the earlier versions. But it's really all about having the support compiled into the kernel -regarding if it's a hard or easy go at it.

For 2.6 kernels, Linux's software-RAID (fakeraid) driver collection is called "dmraid" (Device Mapper RAID). Promise Fasttrack, HighPoint 37X, Intel ICH5/6, LSI, and SiI 3112A/Medley ... and alot more are supported.

... Do you have multiple USB drives running under Linux currently (PATA)?

I use maxtor

I have two maxtor (model: one touch) 250 GByte hard drives connected to my SuSE-9.3 PC (ASUS A7N8X), and they both work quite well. They have both USB2 and firewire interfaces. I use the firewire. I have one maxtor plugged into the other, and one plugged into my PC's firewire port.

I simply plugged them in and they worked. Nothing extra required. I believe they came preformatted as fat32.

I access them from my SuSE-10.0 pc over our internal 10/100baseT ethernet network, using ssh/fish.

My biggest problem is they are both almost full, and my wife want's me to delete stuff, rather than purchase a 3rd external drive.

TBD
    oldcpu:
    "My biggest problem is they are both almost full, and my wife want's me to delete stuff, rather than purchase a 3rd external drive."
    Wives say the wackiest things don't they?