Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im new to Linux and after setting up a fedora/windows xp dual boot on a PC i decided to do the same on my laptop but with suse. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse 10.0 boot problems

Hi, im new to Linux and after setting up a fedora/windows xp dual boot on a PC i decided to do the same on my laptop but with suse.

I did had an initial problem with some partitions from a previous linux install attempt. I went into windows and got rid of these so as to start fresh. After this the install went without a hitch.

After CD1 had completed the system restarted and i got an error when it went to boot from the hardrive. it was set to use GRUB and the error returned was #15. After this i went though some of the repair options, it picked out some packages which wernt installed but was then uable to complete an install of them. As at this stage it was looking a bit of a mess i decided to reinstall it from the start using the same options as before. Again it did not work so i installed again this time i selcted the lilo boot loader and had ACPI disabled. Again after CD1 the system rebooted and when i when to boot from the hard drive all i got was L and then '04', whatever i done or pressed returned '04'.

From here i can simply reinstall windows but seeing as the windows partition is still sitting there intact i would like to know if i can somehow boot to it. Ideally i would like the origional suse/xp setup i had hoped for.

Thanks in advance for any relies

If your XP partition is still there and intact, all you need to repair is your Master Boot Record. You can do this by booting with your XP install CD, and when it tells you "Hit R to enter a Recovery Console", do it. From the Recovery Console type this:

Code:
    FIXMBR
    That should restore your Master Boot Record and allow you to boot MS Windows.

On the subject of SuSE, where did you get your CDs for SuSE 10? If you downloaded them, be sure and check the MD5 checksums for the ISO files. They might be corrupt and you would need to re-download and re-burn them and try installing again.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply, ive tried to fix the mbr by the windows cd but i still had the same problem. I also used a recovery program to try and fix it but this created a different error message, i looked up some solutions to it and after trying all of them i can only presume that the windows partition is messed up. So im going to reinstall xp, not sure i'll risk installing linux for a while but i did have a back up of all my files (thank god!) lol.

Quote Originally Posted by htxt15
    Thanks for the reply, ive tried to fix the mbr by the windows cd but i still had the same problem. I also used a recovery program to try and fix it but this created a different error message, i looked up some solutions to it and after trying all of them i can only presume that the windows partition is messed up. So im going to reinstall xp, not sure i'll risk installing linux for a while but i did have a back up of all my files (thank god!) lol.
    Well, at least you backed everything up. In the future you might consider just installing Linux on a completely separate harddrive. I do this with my system. That way you can unplug the MS Windows drive completely if you like just to be sure nothing will mess with it and you're free to play with Linux as much as you like.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Another little heads-up

Something I did yesterday..... When you install Windows, you are taken to a DOS-ish screen where you are selecting/setting up the partitions. What I did is to create a partition of around 10G for Windows, and left the rest of the disc blank. Then, when Windows was all done installing, I installed SUSE 10.0. It saw that I had Windows installed, and left that partition alone. It installed on the remaining part of the drive. It created a root partition and a swap partition and set up Grub in the MBR just fine and everything. I realize this doesn't help with your current problem. However, creating the partitions manually in this way may minimize on the issues you're running into.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Well, at least you backed everything up. In the future you might consider just installing Linux on a completely separate harddrive. I do this with my system. That way you can unplug the MS Windows drive completely if you like just to be sure nothing will mess with it and you're free to play with Linux as much as you like.
    Yeah you have a good point, that would save a lot of headaches! lol think I may see about setting that kind of system up sometime, i dont want to give up on linux before ive hardly started

Quote Originally Posted by scottmorris
    Something I did yesterday..... When you install Windows, you are taken to a DOS-ish screen where you are selecting/setting up the partitions. What I did is to create a partition of around 10G for Windows, and left the rest of the disc blank. Then, when Windows was all done installing, I installed SUSE 10.0. It saw that I had Windows installed, and left that partition alone. It installed on the remaining part of the drive. It created a root partition and a swap partition and set up Grub in the MBR just fine and everything. I realize this doesn't help with your current problem. However, creating the partitions manually in this way may minimize on the issues you're running into.
    Yeah, I think thats a good idea I was thinking leaving some more space rather than forcing the installer to make room myself. I think i'll have a go at doing that, defrag the drive, run a disk check and then go about installing linux just to be extra safe lol.

Thanks for all of the help and ideas