Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi bigtomrodney, If you are using Packman / Guru repositories I would recommend setting those sources to auto refresh. What exactly is Packaman/ Guru repo's ? I am very new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Re: Packman/ Guru repo ?

Hi bigtomrodney,

If you are using Packman / Guru repositories I would recommend setting those sources to auto refresh.

What exactly is Packaman/ Guru repo's ?
    I am very new to Suze 10.0

I just figured out how to use Yast and I see that some ppl are using Yast2. What is that as well? Sorry for all the ignorant questions.

It would similar to a sites that full with rpm generated for suse.
    I just figured out how to use Yast and I see that some ppl are using Yast2. What is that as well? Sorry for all the ignorant questions.
    Yast2. A place to setting all your computer. Just like control panel in winblows.
    Linux User #409695.
    Acer Aspire 5500, Suse Linux 10.1
    Get counted as Linux user [Linux Counter]

Guru - Packman - Software Package Management

Quote Originally Posted by Headcase
    I am very new to Suze 10.0
    Packman and Guru are 3rd party sites that offer high quality rpms for SuSE. Many SuSE users update their YaST repositories, to include Packman and Guru, simplifying the installation of applications from those sites. Others will install the Smart Software Package Manager (available on Guru) which already contains the repositories. Others will install apt4rpm/synaptic combination (and also add the Packman/Guru repositories). With such repository software package management enhancements, selectively updating dozens of packages on your SuSE multimedia can be done in an hour or so, as opposed to taking a week or so. .... Remember, the multimedia that comes with the Novell/SuSE distribution comes crippled, and requires updating from 3rd party sites to get the full application capabilities.

Packman: http://packman.links2linux.org/ (use its search function. Toggle between German and English using the small flag in upper right corner).

Guru: http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/ (click on the "package navigation" tab, and navigate to examine what Guru has made available).

Just Joined!

My simple solution.

Hey Headcase! I'm a noob too and was able to resolve this in about 10-15 minutes. I can now play any media thrown at me and recently whatched the War of The Worlds without so much as a hiccup. If you just want to get up and running and maybe later learn all the ins and outs, then open yast and follow along with the instructions here, "Hacking Open Suse". Have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2