Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I have been trying to play videos in Suze 10.0 here for awhile now and have tried reading this forum and tried some ideas that were posted with no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Kaffeine or Mplayer

Hello,

I have been trying to play videos in Suze 10.0 here for awhile now and have tried reading this forum and tried some ideas that were posted with no luck.

Now Kaffeine won't even load up it try's then disappears.

Is their a way to reload it fresh? Not the whole O/sys but it by itself and try again?

I am a newbe and recall that when I tried to install anything using Yast I would get a prompt that always had unresolved conflicts, quite a few, I just tried to say ignore. I know this will not work now.

It does seem to be common that codecs are missing as well as the Xine library, etc.. right from a fresh install. Is this true for the commercial version as well?

Thanks alot for help people.

Try installing "win32-codecs" or something similar if you want to get mplayer going. For the Kaffeine route, make sure that you reinstall xine-engine

For me kaffeine isnt fast as xine-ui. In my linux box, I used both player xine and mplayer. Xine is for playing DVD and mplayer for playing local files. Im not sure if commercial version of suse had a right package for xine to play any format. Its recomended for you to download packman package of libxine and packman also has all packages needed to play common video video format. Like lakerdonald said, install w32-codecs to play common video format. Both mplayer and xine need this package.
    Linux User #409695.
    Acer Aspire 5500, Suse Linux 10.1
    Get counted as Linux user [Linux Counter]

Just Joined!
    Try installing "win32-codecs" or something similar if you want to get mplayer going. For the Kaffeine route, make sure that you reinstall xine-engine
    Hi I did get the essential codecs package installed by following the procedure from another related message here; however, I cannot install anything using Yast it seems. In su mode I click on the .rpm and then say install then after 2 secs I receive a popup saying "Installation source not refreshed" I then have to click that box 6 or 7 times then it continues to where I think the listing of the files for installation shoulb be displayed as well as the dependencies, etc.. it is blank with zero entries then I say accept and them immediate finished popup with nothing installed. ???

I tried someones advice awhile back saying that I needed to delete xine,Kaffeine, and something else then reinstall and I think that has corrupted things here as I recall having dependency issues that I could not resolve so I said ignore to during install.

Still Kaffeine will not load and I cannot seem to install Mplayer either?

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks..
    Last edited by techieMoe; 03-08-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Headcase
    In su mode I click on the .rpm and then say install then after 2 secs I receive a popup saying "Installation source not refreshed" I then have to click that box 6 or 7 times then it continues to where I think the listing of the files for installation shoulb be displayed as well as the dependencies, etc.. it is blank with zero entries then I say accept and them immediate finished popup with nothing installed. ???
    What do you mean by "in su mode"? Are you logging into KDE as root user? This is very inadvisable. The only package you needed to install by hand was the win32codecs package, and that could be done with one command in a terminal, no YaST needed. If you've removed Xine, Mplayer and/or Kaffeine, I recommend reinstalling from YaST rather than trying to do it manually.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=techieMoe]What do you mean by "in su mode"?

I was running filemanager in Superuser mode.

The only package you needed to install by hand was the win32codecs package.

O.K. I did that and all went well.

If you've removed Xine, Mplayer and/or Kaffeine, I recommend reinstalling from YaST rather than trying to do it manually.

Yes I did that correct now using system update.

When I try to install Mplayer I get this ...

#### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2006-03-08 10:42:53 ####

libmad.so.0 not available
    Required by:
    MPlayer requires libmad.so.0
    Conflict Resolution:
    ( ) Remove the Referring Package
    Do Not Install MPlayer
    ( ) Ignore Conflict and Risk System Inconsistencies
    libmp3lame.so.0 not available
    Required by:
    MPlayer requires libmp3lame.so.0
    Conflict Resolution:
    ( ) Remove the Referring Package
    Do Not Install MPlayer
    MPlayer 1.0pre7-pm.3 conflict
    Unresolved Requirements:
    MPlayer requires w32codec-all
    MPlayer requires libmad.so.0
    MPlayer requires libmp3lame.so.0
    Conflict Resolution:
    ( ) Do Not Install MPlayer

#### YaST2 conflicts list END ###

How do I resolve these conflicts?

don't know if you've looked, but have a look here to help with most multimedia woes
    http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/178/42/

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaflyer
    don't know if you've looked, but have a look here to help with most multimedia woes
    http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/178/42/

andy
    Thanks, I used that link for the Xine-lib and all proceded OK but when I tried to get Mplayer it said it was not able to locate it?

Now Kaffeine gives error when loading *.avi loading of player part Kaffeine failed.

I noted that in Kaffeine's engine setup nothing is listed at all but a small unseeable window?
    Still not working.

Just Joined!
    Hi again,

I now have Mplayer installed here but all I get is sound and no video.
    I installed xinelib-1 and it also installed the Mplayer. Funny that it said it was not available or found when I searched for it using the addresses from the links?

Any ideas as to how to get the video to play?

Thanks alot everybody for reading and helping when u can.

Linux Guru
    If you are using Packman / Guru repositories I would recommend setting those sources to auto refresh. It means a little more waiting when you are installing/removing software but in the case of these it is worth it. When you find the packages in Software Management you might try setting them to update by rightclicking on them and setting update.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast