Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed S.u.s.e a week ago and all went fine, but although I can browse the internet fine with Konqueror, YOU won't connect to the internet and neither will Firefox ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

YaST / Firefox / Azureus won't connect

I installed S.u.s.e a week ago and all went fine, but although I can browse the internet fine with Konqueror, YOU won't connect to the internet and neither will Firefox or Azureus. I have checked all my network card settings in the YaST control centre and it's all set up correctly with regard to my Router (I am connecting through a Netgear DG632 ADSL Modem Router on a home network.) Does anyone have any idea why these programs can't connect but Konqueror and Kopete are fine? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

can you ping from the command line

Code:
    ping -c2 google.com
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

Connection Troubleshooting

One thing you can do is to try connecting out via your commandline using the telnet command. You'd just do something like:
    telnet google.com 80
    telnet yourpopmailserver.com 110
    telnet yoursmtpmailserver.com 25
    and any other servers/ports you want to try. If you get server banners or 'successful' messages, you are able to connect. This will tell you whether you can even connect to them. Apparently, YOU uses http to check for updates, which is obviously the same thing that Firefox uses for the most part. Can you check and/or send email? Can you do FTP?

You don't have a firewall running on your local machine not allowing outgoing connections do you?

Also, I don't know if this would be of any help, but you can use tools like tcpdump and netstat to see what traffic is on your wire, where it is going to, what program is doing it, what PID it belongs to, and what user the command is running under. Try:

netstat -tap
    as root while you are trying to use Firefox, Azureus, etc, and see if that gives you any useful information.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

command line success

both pinging and telneting google.com work from the command line work fine.

Just Joined!

Azurues

As regards Azureus - Port forwarding does not work properly on my router - I have contacted Netgear about the problem and it appears that it is an issue that many people are having with the model I own, this means that the Distributed Database and DHT don't work in Azureus, but my torrents still download/upload under windows but I get warning lights for NAT and DHT. However when i use Azureus under SUSE my torrents dont run at all (and obviously I still get the warning lights for NAT and DHT). I am less worried about Azureus than I am about YOU though - I would quite like to upgrade my KDE to 3.5.1 and YOU seems to providea fairly easy (for Newbies) way of doing that

Just Joined!

Upgrade to KDE

Actually, YOU is a patch and security update mechanism. It doesn't "upgrade" to a new version (except for patches). If you want to upgrade KDE, you will need to run through my article located here, and that will show you how to upgrade all your packages. However, if your Installation Sources won't refresh and YAST just plain doesn't work to access them, of course you won't be able to do anything with it, anyway. Also, if you're having that much trouble with your router, why not just set up your own? You can do that with another article, located here. It also has a link to how to do port forwarding on such a machine, which would open you up for using torrents and whatnot. Anyway, I hope these links help you out.

Just Joined!
    Yeh, your first article is exactly what I was attempting before, but it times out when I try to connect to the new installation source I've made and won't connect.

Just Joined!
    Ive also tried downloading a tar of the whole KDE 3.5.1 for SUSE 10 binaries from the mirrors and uncompressing them to have a local source for YaST but both times i've tried the tar files have been corrupted when i tried to open them.

Just Joined!

Here's something else you might try.

Is there something keeping you from plugging your SUSE machine directly into the Internet? You only really have to worry about this a lot if you are on a Windows machine. Just plug your computer straight into the Internet and see if you can then do all of your updates, etc. If that works, then I would just toss your router and either get another one, or, using an old box w/2 nics, set up your own.

Just Joined!
    Right - i tried connecting my NetGear ADSL modem router directly to my machine using USB and everything could connect fine to the internet. So if I connect my Netgear ADSL Modem Router this way to my machine (in modem mode) and then follow your instructions, scott, to set my machine up as router , everything should work fine for the other network users, right? (Before the ADSL modem/router was plugged straight into the switch over ethernet with it set to router mode.) The Netgear supprt site forums seem to suggest lost of people having problems with the routing part of the modem I own, so Im guessing that this may be the route problem.

Cheers,
    Raoul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast