Find the answer to your Linux question:
My mobo hadf a meltdown this weekend, chipset fan died, mobo followed. Anyhow. I went and bought an ASUS a8n premie. Needless to say, a complete reinstall was needed. After ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bill Gates Hates Me

My mobo hadf a meltdown this weekend, chipset fan died, mobo followed.

Anyhow. I went and bought an ASUS a8n premie. Needless to say, a complete reinstall was needed. After messing with it, I was able to load M$ 64, but the drive assignments are screwy...loads on D but C holds some kind of placeholder. The only reason I say this, is that installing SuSE manages to screw up the whole works. Ok, fine. I installed an IDE 40gig and tried to install SuSE on that, keeping life as simple as possible. Install went without errors, but grub didn't find the windows and ask me about it. Reboot. Grub starts and throws up. Error in stage 2.

I know I'm a nUUb, but should I be punished for dual booting with m$$?

My questsions are as follows;

[1]Does anyone have this mobo?
    [2]Is there a problem with the hardware config that you can see?
    [3]What the heck is Stage 2 (what is it doing)?
    [4]Do the Red Wings have a shot at the President's Trophy?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunatec
    Anyhow. I went and bought an ASUS a8n premie. Needless to say, a complete reinstall was needed. After messing with it, I was able to load M$ 64, but the drive assignments are screwy...loads on D but C holds some kind of placeholder. The only reason I say this, is that installing SuSE manages to screw up the whole works. Ok, fine. I installed an IDE 40gig and tried to install SuSE on that, keeping life as simple as possible. Install went without errors, but grub didn't find the windows and ask me about it. Reboot. Grub starts and throws up. Error in stage 2.
    Define "SuSE screws up the whole works"? I've never been able to transplant a working MS Windows installation from one system to the next without some sort of headache. My problems had nothing to with Linux, and everything to do with MS Windows. In fact, I've transplanted Linux several times to and from several hardware configurations with no ill effects.

I know I'm a nUUb, but should I be punished for dual booting with m$$?
    Yes. Forty lashes with a wet noodle. (j/k)

My questsions are as follows;

[1]Does anyone have this mobo?
    [2]Is there a problem with the hardware config that you can see?
    What hardware config would that be? Can you please post the onboard chipset for that particular board as well as any other devices you have hooked up in your computer?

[3]What the heck is Stage 2 (what is it doing)?
    Here is a listing of Stage 2 errors and what they mean:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...e2-errors.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

1. My brother does, ASUS A8N-E non premium version
    2. Like techieMoe says, post more details about your setup including hard drives, how many and how they are connected.
    3. GRUB stage 2 is what I think you are referring to, basicially means that something with your SUSE install is corrupted.
    4. No idea.

My brother has no problem dual booting SUSE 9.3 and XP Pro on the one harddrive.

Moe, ASUS A8N-E is a nForce4 Ultra based mobo with socket 939 and some other features common to most modern boards.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Moe, ASUS A8N-E is a nForce4 Ultra based mobo with socket 939 and some other features common to most modern boards.
    Ah. In that case my first question to the original poster would be do you have SATA or IDE drives and are they hooked up in a RAID configuration?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants