Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am pondering upgrading my computer to a P4 and am wondering if I would be able to just plug my current Suze10.0 hd into the new bought Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Advice on Install

Hello,

I am pondering upgrading my computer to a P4 and am wondering if I would be able to just plug my current Suze10.0 hd into the new bought Windows machine and be O.K. or would a fresh install be needed?

Also wondering if Grep is installed in the Windows MBR ? I recall reading that it may be or not be for some reason; however, if it is not would I be able to reload Grub onto this other Windows hd ?

Thanks for reading.

as it's a new machine,a fresh install would be better, because of all the new hardware

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Linux Newbie
    I agree with deltaflyer. A fresh install is the surest/cleanest solution.

I have done what you're suggesting when the machine running Suse had a motherboard meltdown. Unfortunately I didn't keep notes. Basically I had to install grub to the mbr of the windows (master) hd which was then controlled from Suse(on the slave).

There is an excellent howto on grub here
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-edition.html
    As the author says there is always more than one way to do things in linux. I've never owned a grub floppy, so there's you're proof. The only repair tool I remember using was Suse's install disk. The howto refers to /boot/grub/grub.conf which looks like Suse's menu.lst. Yast can assist in bootloader configuration.

Just answering the question of can it be done. I'm not recommending it.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

Just Joined!

Thanks for the advice on fresh install. I geuss I will do that. I recall having 2 errors when installing from the 5 CD's both were errors from not loading some "efont-unicode-0.4.2-6.noarch.rpm and WindowMaker-themes-0.1-241.noarch" files. I said ignore and continued. Do you know what those files do? Or do I have a bad burn on the disk 2 I think it was.

Thanks for the responses.

sounds like a bad burn to me. the windowmaker themes file isn't important at all if you use KDE or GNOME. it's just different themes for the WindowMaker Window Manager which, imo, is crap and not worth using anyway. the efont-unicode file sounds more important. i'd say you should download it off the internet and install it manually. it should be on www.google.com/linux if you search the filename.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?