Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed SUSE Linux 9.3 on my system about a month ago and it works fine. I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of desktop enviroment I should ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Desktop Environment should I use **SOLVED**

I installed SUSE Linux 9.3 on my system about a month ago and it works fine. I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of desktop enviroment I should put on my system so that it will run faster. Currently I have KDE 3.4.0 level "b" and it runs very slow especially my internet (I have the fastest DSL). My basic computer specs are AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor, 7 gig hard drive, and 370 mb of Ram. I would prefer it also if the environment was easy to install without having to type in root commands and stuff.

-riverk

fluxbox,icewm,are two that spring to mind,look on your software cd's. as for internet, it probably will be the same,as your desktop environment will not affect it.

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

KDE, though it is one of the best desktops/window managers, is certainly one of the slowest too. And, talking about slow, from I know Suse is perhads one of the heaviest linux distro too...

So any other window managers/desktops will perform better...

Plus, make sure you have the latest upgrade for your Suse system!

Check out this site, about window managers: http://xwinman.org/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Would you recomend I install Gnome on my system (see my basic system specs above). (My main goal is to have a desktop environment that is easy to install, comes with an internet browser, an app to talk on MSN, and perhaps a word processor and a CD burning program too, but most importantly of all, I want this system to RUN FAST.) If so, how do I uninstall my KDE environment and install gnome?

KDE and Gnome are known to weigh you down (KDE more so than Gnome), but are easy to use. To get speed without sacrificing a lot of useful features, in addition to deltaflyer's suggestions (which I haven't tried), take a look at xfce and WindowMaker (both of which I tried some time ago and was mostly happy with).
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Zelmo, how do I uninstall my current Kde setup and also how do I install xfce4? I wasnt sure how to do it.

You don't want to remove KDE; it can still be installed when it's not being used, and it's good to have it around if you ever need to use it.
    Check YaST for xfce, there should be a SuSE package you can install from the repository.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help guys. I figured out how to install fxce4, and it works pretty fast.

-riverk