Find the answer to your Linux question:
All of a sudden I am getting this error message when I try to access cups to check my print settings etc. I have an ongoing battle printing where the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't establish a connection to server at Localhost:631

All of a sudden I am getting this error message when I try to access cups to check my print settings etc.
    I have an ongoing battle printing where the print queue just sits and does nothing (says processing), or sometimes the file does not even reach the print queue.

I have tried to delete cups and reinstall it, to no avail. I am running suse 10. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jeremy

try typing in 127.0.0.1:631 & see what happens

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

make sure following line is in /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost lo localhost.localdomain

also when you try to access via your web browser, it should be localhost instead of Localhost.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies, - this strange event has disappeared as quickly as it arrived. All I did in the interim was an online update (had not been done for about 30 days) and the problem was gone.

For your suggestions of trying 127.0.0.1 and watching the spelling etc, I had already tried them and they also failed.

Thanks again
    Jeremy

On another forum I was sent to the local host to reset my printer settings and was denied entry. I went into Yast - hardware - printer - there I was able to change the resolution and page settings for my printer very easily. I was quite awestruck that there were so many things that I had choices of. I would advise you to go into Yast for your printer settings; especially if you are the only one using your computer.