Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
are you trying to login to a root account graphicially? what happens when you use the su command in the terminal and enter your root password? What is the problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

are you trying to login to a root account graphicially? what happens when you use the su command in the terminal and enter your root password?

What is the problem with loging in normaly i.e. not through failsafe?

Also it is not a good idea to login as root into a graphical session and even while logged in as root through the terminal, you have to be careful.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    I am unable to login to the root account graphically, but I am able to login to the root through the terminal.

When trying to login through the root normally the screen will flash to a black screen then back to the login page instead of starting the KDE desktop.

why on earth do you want to login to the root account graphicially? You can just login as a normal user and when you need to perform admin tasks, SUSE will just prompt you for your root password, thus giving you temproary root access to do the task at hand.

Also SUSE protects graphical root logins by default, that is why you can't login graphicially as root.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK
    I logged into suse using the root in the GUI.
    I opened yahoo messenger in the root account.
    The root account can't login anymore which is the same that happened to my user when I ran yahoo in that, but I just deleted the user and created a new user.
    Is it possible to fix the root so that it can login in the GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by peter77
    OK
    I logged into suse using the root in the GUI.
    I opened yahoo messenger in the root account.
    It's never a good idea to run graphical and/or internet applications as root, particularly when the code comes from a proprietary source such as Yahoo.

Is it possible to fix the root so that it can login in the GUI.
    I think we're all still confused as to why you're so keen to log in graphically as root? There's nothing you can't do by logging in as a normal user graphically and then using su on the command line.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I just want to fix it so that I know what to do if my user account stops.
    Also I just want to fix it for the sake of fixing it

There is nothing worng with your root account. it is working fine, the protection which SUSE enabled so that root can't login graphicially is so that people new to linux won't screw up the system badly.

Now, for yahoo not working, have you tried another messaging client which will connect to yahoo's messenger service e.g. gaim or kopete just to check wether it is a problem with your yahoo account.

hint for getting root login, KDE Control Center -> user account

Just Joined!
    Hmm so I must have been dreaming when I unselected the root account from being hidden, logging into the GUI using the root account and installing yahoo messenger.
    Then when running yahoo the root is now unable to login to the GUI just like the user account that ran yahoo.

Could you tell me how I could fix this as it did happen and I did login to the GUI for the root and I did mess it up so now it can't login to the GUI!!

I do not know why this happened, perhaps it is a bug in yahoo's code. Are you able to login at all or what?

Since yahoo's own messenger is giving you headaches, why not use an open source messenger client which will still allow you to access yahoo's service i.e. you can still chat to your friends on yahoo, but without using yahoo's client. Try gaim or kopete and see if they work.

Just Joined!
    Kopete seems to be a lot better.

I created new users using the command since the root can still login the command, I then uninstalled yahoo through YaST!

So far Linux seems to start faster, look better and work smoother than Windows XP which is also installed on my PC. Just goes to show open source is good

I've started booting into Linux more when I just want to browse the Internet, check my emails or just play around with the OS.

thanks for the help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast