Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by peter77 Hi I recently purchased a copy of Suse Linux 10 which was running very well until I install yahoo messenger. Peter77, The lost of the /root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by peter77
    Hi

I recently purchased a copy of Suse Linux 10 which was running very well until I install yahoo messenger.
    Peter77,

The lost of the /root sounds like my problem.

I have been using SUSE 10.0 since Nov 2005 using GNOME as a Desktop, Evoloution as e-mail, FoxFire as browser, and OpenOffice tools.

Sunday, I ran the update new posts since I need to get the emac editor to work. Well, the update overwrote my /boot/grub files and placed a large number of *.*.i586 files on the system, which the installer refused to resolve. Fatal error db4 error (-3097 run db recovrey (What db recovery and more importantly HOW?)

I was able to fix the boot by the following:
    1. Place CD1 in drive
    2. Reboot machine
    3. Select Installation from boot menu
    4. After language, license acceptance, select Installation and Other and Repair Installed System
    5. Select Expert
    6. Select Install New Boot Loader

This worked for me with respect to the boot.

I however cannot get by to my GNOME Desktop --- What comes up is a Mountain Lake view and not the Chameleon. It also is labeled vrmf2, it is a strange Desktop -- I do not have access to Evolution, nor to OpenOffice.

I am not sure why.

I am very new to Linux so if anyone has a 4x6 of knowledge to swat me with, I would love to hear from you.

@ peter77,
    glad to hear things are working for you now.

@ NBohrnewbie,
    try booting into failsafe, login as root and run db recovery or updatedb. Then reboot and try loging in as normal.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    @ NBohrnewbie,
    try booting into failsafe, login as root and run db recovery or updatedb. Then reboot and try loging in as normal.
    AlexK

Well, my handle does say that I am a newbie. I cannot find any command for db or updatedb from the shell. I am still learning UNIX line commands.

Can anyone tell me from /root where I might be able to find GNOME? What script invokes GNOME? What is VFMR2?

I tried to repair my system using the CD from my SUSE 10.0 box. I now find that I have two "valid linux partions", yet if I select /dev/hdc1 I get into my VFMR screen. If In select /dev/hdd6, system tries to start but the log has messages like device not found -- unable to mount. The log ends with a Kernal panic. Package SYSLINUX is missing and when I seek to repair it, SUSE tells me that it was omitted.

I am at the point that i would like to wipe both of my drives of all partitions and attempt another New Installation from the CD's. Is this wise? How does one purge the partitions, yet get the system to boot? YaST will not allow me to delete the partitions with a some / directory on the drive.

Is there a way to reset the machine back to a "near virgin" condition? Or is there another way to get back to GNOME?

NBohrnewbie,
    all i suggested was when the system loads, you should try booting into Failsafe instead of SUSE Linux 10. Once there, login as root then run "db recovery" (enter it without quotes). If that doesn't fix it, try running one of these commands:
    rpm --rebuilddb
    updatedb

once that is done, just reboot using the reboot command (i.e. just tyoe reboot).

Also why not do a repair install (not the install new bootloader part).
    Last edited by AlexK; 03-18-2006 at 03:42 AM.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3