Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi I recently purchased a copy of Suse Linux 10 which was running very well until I install yahoo messenger. After trying to load up Yahoo my user and root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse linux 10 login problem

Hi

I recently purchased a copy of Suse Linux 10 which was running very well until I install yahoo messenger.

After trying to load up Yahoo my user and root logins were unable to login back into Suse.

I followed the instructions in the manual to delete the cache data (page 239 - 240) with no luck.
    I then tried to repair the system with the installation disk but that didn't detect any problems.

I'm using the KDE Desktop

Is there anyway to fix this problem so that I won't have to reinstall Suse?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    I wouldn't know a way to fix it if you can't login as root or a user account.
    But I do wonder why are you installing yahoo when you can use Kopete ?

Just Joined!
    I just wanted to test installing some software

Is there anyway to fix this problem then?

edit

I can still login in failsafe, could this be any use?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have an idea.. You should be able to login with single user mode.. Depending on the bootloader:

Grub:
    1. At boot, select the Linux distribution you want to boot into. When your selection is highlighted, hit the "e" key to edit the boot commands.
    2. Scroll down to the kernel command and type "e" to edit it. Go to the end of that line and type the word "single" (no quotes).
    3. Continue the boot. Instead of getting the GUI and X Window System windows manager, you'll get a simple little prompt that gives you full access to the system, including changing passwords.

Lilo: just type "linux single" (without the quotes) at the LILO command prompt; you'll go into single-user mode.

From here on you can login to ur root account which i think will probably work and here just change you're root password with : "passwd root" (without quotes).
    Change ur root pw. And reboot to ur GUI. Try using "init 5" or "kde" if this doesn't work just user "shutdown -r now" (all without quotes). Let it boot and see what happens. From my experience you should now be able to login again with root account and from the rootaccount change the normal user accounts.

good luck, and let me know if it has worked or post again if it doesn't work and you need more help .

Puntjuh.

Quote Originally Posted by peter77
    Hi

I recently purchased a copy of Suse Linux 10 which was running very well until I install yahoo messenger.
    Did you try to install the RPM from the Yahoo site? I highly recommend using a different messaging client than the "official" one for Yahoo and AIM. Their Linux versions are very old and will more than likely give you issues (not to mention they don't have updated features). Have you tried using GAIM or Kopete messengers instead? Either can be installed either from their official websites or through the SuSE CDs.

After trying to load up Yahoo my user and root logins were unable to login back into Suse.
    What procedure did you follow to install Yahoo messenger? This should not affect your logons at all.

I followed the instructions in the manual to delete the cache data (page 239 - 240) with no luck.
    I then tried to repair the system with the installation disk but that didn't detect any problems.
    User problems wouldn't show up on a system diagnostic, I don't think. What prompted you to try deleting the cache data?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    It allowed me to use yast to install the package. After I clicked on the link to start the messenger it showed that yahoo was loading in my task bar but never opened up.

I tried to delete the cache data as it was one of the only options I had left

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by puntjuh
    I have an idea.. You should be able to login with single user mode.. Depending on the bootloader:

Grub:
    1. At boot, select the Linux distribution you want to boot into. When your selection is highlighted, hit the "e" key to edit the boot commands.
    2. Scroll down to the kernel command and type "e" to edit it. Go to the end of that line and type the word "single" (no quotes).
    3. Continue the boot. Instead of getting the GUI and X Window System windows manager, you'll get a simple little prompt that gives you full access to the system, including changing passwords.

Lilo: just type "linux single" (without the quotes) at the LILO command prompt; you'll go into single-user mode.

From here on you can login to ur root account which i think will probably work and here just change you're root password with : "passwd root" (without quotes).
    Change ur root pw. And reboot to ur GUI. Try using "init 5" or "kde" if this doesn't work just user "shutdown -r now" (all without quotes). Let it boot and see what happens. From my experience you should now be able to login again with root account and from the rootaccount change the normal user accounts.

good luck, and let me know if it has worked or post again if it doesn't work and you need more help .

Puntjuh.

I successfully changed the password, but I am still unable to log in.

What seems to happen is I input my login and password, a text screen flashes on for about half a second then it returns to the log on screen.

Is there anyway to reset the user accounts or even create a new one (if possible) through the command?

Just Joined!
    OK I've been browsing these forums, messing in the command and I've now created myself a new account.

Could I get my other accounts working or should I just create a new root account?

At least I'm now back on linux

Just Joined!
    Glad to hear you're back in ur gui, but making a new root account isn't possible, since the root account is the only account with the rights to do this.
    So, if you can't solve it by using the single user mode and certain commands and i bet you there are more that i just can't come up with or i don't know yet.

I guess there is no other way but reinstalling.

Good luck,

puntjuh.

Just Joined!
    I'll just have to find away to fix my root account then
    Any help please

I am able to log into failsafe with the root so is it possible to make another root account using the root account in failsafe?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast