Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have dual PCI-E nVidia 6600gt's, and I have two problems; And before Moe tells me to read the link, I did that, and still am having issues. #1; Dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Video performance in SuSE

I have dual PCI-E nVidia 6600gt's, and I have two problems;

And before Moe tells me to read the link, I did that, and still am having issues.

#1; Dual Monitors....is there an easy, step by step guide for morons that can walk me through setting this up on 10?

#2; While running Counterstrike Source via Cedega, my video cards are not identified...no biggie...but they render like crap (too fast and jerky animations) and therte is a huge lag between when I want something to happen and when it does.

What I want to know is this, how do I know if I have the best drivers for my video, and if I am not going to use yast, how do I install these new drivers? I really need this in the 3 year old literacy range.

PS. the extra credit question: what is the bash equiv of nano? Is there a way to edit my xorg.conf within the terminals? Or is there a different terminal that I am supposed to be using...I have been trying gnome, x terminal, and even ventured into the dangerous world of the root terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by lunatec
    I have dual PCI-E nVidia 6600gt's, and I have two problems;

And before Moe tells me to read the link, I did that, and still am having issues.
    I'm glad to see you did your research beforehand.

PS. the extra credit question: what is the bash equiv of nano? Is there a way to edit my xorg.conf within the terminals? Or is there a different terminal that I am supposed to be using...I have been trying gnome, x terminal, and even ventured into the dangerous world of the root terminal.
    I'm confused. Nano is a terminal program. What are you asking?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I'm glad to see you did your research beforehand.

I'm confused. Nano is a terminal program. What are you asking?
    Ok...a better way to explain it is "how can I edit /etc/x11/xorg.conf" while in the Gnome?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by lunatec
    Ok...a better way to explain it is "how can I edit /etc/x11/xorg.conf" while in the Gnome?
    Oh, so you're looking for a graphical text editor then? Any editor should do, but in order to edit your system files you'll need to launch it as root user. There are a few ways to do this. The way I usually do it is (from a console):

Code:
    xhost +
    You should get a message like "Clients can now connect from any host..." Then in the same terminal:

Code:
    su
    Password: <root password>
    gedit
    I used gedit in this example just because I'm fairly sure you have it. You could also use any other GUI text editor.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

TY

You get the extra credit! 2 points for you

first off, run glxgears from a terminal window:
    Code:
    glxgears
    if that gives less than 4000FPS (my vanilla 6600 gives 4000) then you've probably got a problem somewhere. then read on:

don't the drivers from yast just work? if they don't then, when you've installed the drivers, let it edit xorg.conf for you. if that still doesn't work, run sax2 and turn on 3D acceleration and give your settings.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

I am getting 7000 fps (7100 - 7300)

dunno about the dual monitors, but cedega doesn't seem to be playing happy with the SLi. perhaps you should look at taking one out and seeing if the performance increases in CS.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Frag it...not going to worry about it yet. The dual monitor thing is driving me nutz. I feel crippled without both.