Find the answer to your Linux question:
k m noob i downloaded SuSE 10. every thing is working fine. during installation only 2 packages from first cd failed one was CUPS and one was glibc-locale. CUPS is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation package failed

k m noob
    i downloaded SuSE 10. every thing is working fine. during installation only 2 packages from first cd failed one was CUPS and one was glibc-locale. CUPS is i think something to do with printer and i don't have one so no worry. now tell me about other package do i really need the other package :/ m not sure. and how can or from where i can get rpm.

Problem 2 is I am trying to install a lan chat software. its Unix version is available but its source so when i try to compile as its instructed in programs install file it says gcc no g++ no etc etc etc i mean there is nothing which can compile :/ how can i install a compiler. so how can i install gcc etc. or how can i check if they are already installed and something wrong with that source.

PLZ help

Thanks

if you are compiling from source, you need gcc,gcc++,make, also good idea to install kernel sources. all can be installed from your install cd's via yast ->software management

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    ok m having lots of problems because of glibc package that i mentioned in first post hwo can i reinstall that package do i need to burn whole cd again :/ or can i download and install that packge etc

plz help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    You can find the RPM on a site such as this one. You can also use something like rpmseek.com or rpmfind.net. You just need to find an RPM that matches the one that was not installed properly. I.e., you look for one with the correct name, the correct cpu architecture, and built for the correct platform (the one you are on). Download the package that you need. Then, open a terminal window and change to the directory where you downloade it to. Then, as root, type:

rpm -i <packagename>

It should install just fine. Then, just to wrap things up and be safe, run:

SuSEconfig

And you should be in fine shape.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Umair_Ahmad_Khan
    ok m having lots of problems because of glibc package that i mentioned in first post hwo can i reinstall that package do i need to burn whole cd again :/ or can i download and install that packge etc

plz help
    If you are new to Linux , you should NOT start to download rpm's on Internet, this will mess up Suse if you don't know what you do, and your own packages will not be patched by online_update.

Just start YaST2 from the menu. Select software, and Installations sources.

If you have a cd you can include it, or copy it to disk and include that path.

Now add some other sources, I have:
    bblin3:~ # installation_sources -s
    Installation Sources:
    [ ] SUSE LINUX Version 10.0 (dvd:///;devices=/dev/hdc)
    [x] SUSE LINUX Version 10.0 (dir:///suse)
    [x]* Packman (SuSE LINUX 10.0) (http://packman.inode.at/suse/10.0)
    [x]* guru (SUSE LINUX 10.0) (ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.0)

* is auto refresh, since packman and guru is updated often, you must refresh the contents, or you will get messages that the selected packages can't be found on the server.

Now start install/remove software.
    Go to the search tab and type gaim , and mark it for install.
    Packages marked with blue color can be upgraded to a new version, click on the version tab, and you find a better build from packman or guru. Just select the version,
    and mark the package for reinstall, then check the dependency box for problems.
    Don't mark to many packages at once, since you can get to many problems to solve.
    If some lib is missing, just press cancel, go to the search tab, mark "provides" , and search for the lib you need. Mark it for install, and try dependencies again, until you get ok. When all is done, run YOU (online update) so you get your new packages patched.

You should always search your media and depository's first, and only use rpmfind if you don't have any other options.

Often there is no problems, but with a 64-bits kernel, it can be lot's of problems with some packages that is build for 32 bit, and depend on 32-bits libs.

And don't forget to install the rpmkeys for extra depository's , search for rpmkey and mark them for install.

Note that packages from packman and guru will not be updated by online_update (YOU), so you need to check for blue lines in the package manager and mark them for reinstall.

/birre