Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I have open suse 10.0 which I installed long ago. I dont have the installation discs now. Yesterday, I updated Nautilus, Metacity and Evolution from YAST. It said there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation wanted hal-0.5.4-4.i586.rpm. please help

hello,
    I have open suse 10.0 which I installed long ago. I dont have the installation discs now. Yesterday, I updated Nautilus, Metacity and Evolution from YAST. It said there is a conflict, and needs to downgrade hal-0.5.4-6 to hal-0.5.4-4. Now, I'm unable to find hal-0.5.4-4.i586 anywhere on the internet
    I could only see that it is a package in the listing for SuSe 10.0 RC1.

My GNOME panel is blinking and disappearing because of this.
    Please help me. I'm in danger

If you can't find it and you really need this fixed, I think you either need to find the ISO for your version of SuSE and burn it so you'll have the .RPM, or upgrade your whole system to a later 'final release' of SuSE. This version of SuSE 10.0 you installed was a RC version? If so, I'd vie for upgrading. Release candidates are really for testing and feedback purposes.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 03-16-2006 at 11:14 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

thanks DapperDan

thanks for the info. I could solve it by replacing the whole hal related stuff.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Glad to hear you got it sorted!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Consider upgrading your software package management

Quote Originally Posted by neusun001
    It said there is a conflict, and needs to downgrade hal-0.5.4-6 to hal-0.5.4-4. Now, I'm unable to find hal-0.5.4-4.i586 anywhere on the internet
    This is one area where the "Smart Package Manager" shines (and possibly apt4rpm/synaptic combo also shine). .... There are limits to YaST's algorithm's ability to pick the best approach in downgrading software, and the newer package managers do this quite well.

From what I have read, in SuSE-10.1, the Novell/SuSE intention is to upgrade YaST's Software Package Management with parts of Ximian's Red Carpet, and also "Smart" will be included on the Installation CD/DVD as an optional package that can be installed.

Just Joined!
    oh.so things are gonna get better for SUSE. Its really a pain to keep the installation discs. I wrote them on RWs and erased long ago
    Thanks for the info.

Please have a look at my other thread "OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet". I'm unable to sort that problem out. Please help me.

Not a smart move

Quote Originally Posted by neusun001
    oh.so things are gonna get better for SUSE. Its really a pain to keep the installation discs. I wrote them on RWs and erased long ago
    My apologies for being critical, but erasing your installations disks was "NOT a very smart move on your part". Your installation disks are MORE than just installation disks. They are also your rescue disks, and also a software repository. .... I suggest you dowload and reburn the exact same version of SuSE again, else you will have no end of problems.

Just Joined!
    thanks man.. first time on suse. I'm planning to reinstall.. I'll keep the discs carefully this time