Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody Last night I was trying to install a driver for my ATI, but could only do this as root. I haven't been using a root log-on (G knows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thumbs down Super-User Mode Terminal Not Working

Hi everybody

Last night I was trying to install a driver for my ATI, but could only do this as root. I haven't been using a root log-on (G knows why), so for sometime I wasn't able to install this.

However, i finally got a way of doing the boot by root (I knew the password, just didn't know how to log as root) and installed the damn thing.

Anyway, when I came back to my personal log-on, I was looking around this OS (new to me) and found that there is an option on the System/Terminal part called 'Terminal - Super-user Mode'. And so i thought "Well, this is handy..I don't have to log-off and back on to change to root."

So when i try to use it, it asks for the password. However, whatever I type in it doesn't show anything until I press 'Return'. Then I'm able to type the password, but closes after 2secs, so that I can't do anything...

Is there some way to fix this? Or any other way to do things as root without having to log-off?

Any help will be appeciated

Thanx

Diogo

I normally just open a terminal and type su or sux (if I need access to the X server). It prompts for a password, after which I'm in the console as root.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Banned
    I am not sure why this is happening. But you should just use su for root.
    It is alot safer. Think about it, if you are root anything can execute and do ANYTHING

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    what's also nice (after logging in as root) to have the functionality of a gui for file-browsing; to start konqueror simply type:
    Code:
    konqueror &
    or as a regular user (using the kde desktop):
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror &
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Thanx for the tip Zelmo. I've just figured out what I was doing wrong... I was expecting something to be written on the screen as I was typing :P...

Quote Originally Posted by muha
    what's also nice (after logging in as root) to have the functionality of a gui for file-browsing; to start konqueror simply type:
    Code:
    konqueror &
    Thanks for this tip too... just tried it, it's really nice.