Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
how do you update jave and fire fox? I noticed there are newer versions of both then what SUSE will update. I tried downloading FF and got it to work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

updating java and firefox

how do you update jave and fire fox? I noticed there are newer versions of both then what SUSE will update. I tried downloading FF and got it to work but only when I gointo the files and run the program. I can not get it set up with SUSE or to the desktop icon. I could not get java to update at all because the files it talked about on the install instructions did not exist. Help me please! Im confused again.

I've got an RPM from Mozilla for upgrading Firefox. It just installed in place over the older version and everything's happy

Not sure about java.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I'm very new to linux (suse 10) and am sort of confused on this issue. I downloaded and extracted the firefox 1.5.0.1 tar.gz file and ran the updated version of firefox. At first the navigation bar/start menu icons were still pointing to 1.0.7, but now that I've run 1.5.0.1 a few times, both icons are pointing to it.

Also YAST/Software Management/Search still only shows available versions 1.0.7 and 1.0.6 and not 1.5.0.1. I don't get it, should I be intalling programs through YAST, and if so, how do I do that?

Just Joined!

You can download the rpm file to install via Yast. I think it's the better way to go when there's an rpm available. The reason is that then yast will be aware of it and you can manage what software is installed much easier. If you install via the tarball, yast won't know about it. That's why it's not showing up with the newer version.

You should be able to get the rpm from the mozilla site. That's where I got it from I think.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help guys. I got the rpm and managed to get it installed. Now the only problem is that everytime I start firefox it askes me if it can install some software and warns be about non signed software being dangerous. Slowws down logging on a bit. Any ideas?

quick question

Is it asking you about installing extensions/themes, etc.? A lot of extensions and themes would need to be updated to work in the newer version of firefox.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Yes it is saying that this file file:///usr/lib/browser-extensions/firefox/beagle.xpi
    is in my extesion folder and asks me if I want to install it everytime I start firefox.
    How would I fix this? Thanks again for the help.

You can then install this in Firefox by going File --> Open File and selecting the XPI file. After restarting Firefox your web history will be indexed.
    That should take care of it.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Im sorry but I do not understand the explanation. Im a complete noob.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast