Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'll try to keep this simple and as non-stupid sounding as I can. Windows XP wasn't working right in my computer, so I had to reinstall it. I didn't mess ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual boot - Windows XP/SuSE Linux problems

I'll try to keep this simple and as non-stupid sounding as I can.

Windows XP wasn't working right in my computer, so I had to reinstall it. I didn't mess with Linux at all, I only reinstalled Windows XP.

I was given the following instructions:
    "...use the SuSE DVD to boot, then you can boot an
    installed system, boot into Linux, use Yast to rewrite the Grub
    bootloader to the master boot record, and you should be good to go."

I have my SuSE DVD in the drive, but I only have the following options:
    Boot from Hard Disk
    Installation
    Installation - ACPI Disabled
    Installation - Safe Settings
    Secure System
    Memory Test

Boot from Hard Disk only reboots into Windows, which is not what I need.

I'm just trying to give Linux the control over my computer it deserves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Enthusiast
    Proceed with installation (you will not actually have to install anything) and somewhere later in the process you will get an option to boot installed system. Use that option to boot into SuSE and follow the suggestion you were given to update your bootloader.

Just Joined!
    You need to choose: new installation>other>repair installed system>expert>repair bootloader.

This will repair Grub and upon reboot will allow you choose either Suse or Windows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Also adding the two os's to the master boot record won't work. Windows will not boot Linux, you must use the GRUB bootloader to accomplish both boot processes. Also SUSE 10 automatically mounted windows in the /windows/c folder i believe if that helps.

Just Joined!
    Put "Boot My SuSE Linux" Menu Option in windows Boot.ini :

Dear Friends !
    I have read all your answers . I think my solution will make the thing little easy for all future modifications. We know that we get most problems with windows and it is the one that needs to be installed frequently. So , giving boot control to linux will erase it's boot record after the windows installation.

Here , What we will do is , we just grab the linux boot record and put it in a file.
    After that we just point it in the Boot.ini file with a menu option.

Follow this procedure:
    Assuming you have SuSE and windows XP in the same hard disk and currently SuSE has control over the master boot record.

1. Boot into your fav linux OS that was already installed and working fine.
    2. Open a shell and give the following command
    dd if=/dev/hda1 of=SuSEBootRec.lnx bs=512 count=1
    This command will create a file "SuSEBootRec.lnx".
    3. Copy this file to C:\
    4. Now , Edit the "Boot.ini" file found at C:\boot.ini using notepad like editor.
    For example .. My boot.ini file was
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Internet" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

5. Now add the following line at the end of above file.
    C:\SuSEBootRec.lnx="My SuSe Linux 9.2 Professional"

6. Thats it .. from now on wards you can see your fav Linux menu option in windows boot menu and you can safely boot from it.

Benefits:
    In future if u install windows , Linux boot record may ne erased by windows but it is still accessible from windows boot menu .

From now onwards you will see Linux controlled menu twice .. lot of fun this is
    experiment it .. and dont curse me if some thing goes wrong .. I will be here to help you any moment .

Fell free to contact : vijay_sastry@yahoo.co.in