Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am very very new to Linux and need some help. I have installed SUSE 10.0 on my laptop and would like to remove it and reinstall windows XP. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Noobie Help:I need to remove SUSE 10.0 and reinstall Windows

Hello,
    I am very very new to Linux and need some help. I have installed SUSE 10.0 on my laptop and would like to remove it and reinstall windows XP. SUSE is great but I realize that for now I will be better off running windows and installing SUSE later on an external drive. I really know nothing about how to operate SUSE. I cannot seem to figure out how to boot onto the windows recovery cd. Please help asap. Thanks

make sure you have the cd set to boot first in your bios. then you can boot from your cd & reinstall windows. better way would be to boot to windows,go to control panel,system administration,computer management. scroll down to disk management.then right click your linux partitions & delete them. then boot from windows cd. choose repair & at the boot prompt type fixmbr & press enter. you should then be able to boot windows only

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    thanks for the tip. I only have linux installed on this machine so i will have to go with the first option. how do i set to boot to the cd in the bios? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamman85
    thanks for the tip. I only have linux installed on this machine so i will have to go with the first option. how do i set to boot to the cd in the bios? Thanks
    Most computers have a screen that pops up when you first boot them, then they beep, then the OS starts booting. Usually the first screen has some message like "Hit F8 to enter Setup" or something like that. Your computer might use the DELETE key, the ESC key, or any of the function keys. Look closely at your first boot screen to find that out.

Inside your BIOS Setup menus there should be an option for "Boot Order", "Boot Devices", or something to that effect. Make sure the first boot device is your CDROM drive and your second is your harddrive. Then reboot with the MS Windows CD and press ENTER when it gives you the message "Press any key to boot from CD..."
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants