Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have searched the forums and google and nothing !!! I have a Sony Vaio Laptop and I want to dual boot Suse 10 with Win XP. XP is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Suse 10 freezes on installation !

Hello,

I have searched the forums and google and nothing !!!

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop and I want to dual boot Suse 10 with Win XP.

XP is already installed and I'm trying to install Suse, so far with no luck, everytime I try it freezes before it gets to the end of the installation either on full install or that other option ACPI disabled, neither works...Both freeze.

I have no idea what else to try..Any one got any ideas ?

At what point does it freeze? Is it the same place each time? What other specific/detailed information can you tell us?

Just Joined!
    Yeah its the same point everytime, packet 110 !

Its a real shame as I really want to get into Linux...any help would be great.

I have searched the forums and google and nothing !!!
    What exactly did you search for?

I have no idea what else to try..Any one got any ideas ?
    No, but I might if I had more information to work with...

Its a real shame as I really want to get into Linux...
    Your future in Linux looks bleak at the moment. However, if you should become more willing to make an effort...

any help would be great.
    You have already had "any" help -- if you want more help, you are going to have to provide more information...

EDIT: Are you installing from boxed CDs, or downloaded-and-burned CDs? If you burned them, did you verify the checksum before you burned them (to make sure the download was not currupted)?

Just Joined!

Question

I didn't now what info someone would need to diagnose the problem !

I tried different version of Suse, one version was from Linux Format mag, it was OpenSUSE SLICK which failed at packet 65, I tried this 3 times failed at same point everytime. I then tried a downloaded DVD version, checked several times and verified the burn, it was fine, tried this 5 times with different packages, mainly failes at 110 packages downloaded.

I am trying to dual boot on a laptop wit XP Home already installed, the drive I am trying to install it on is a external 20gig HDD connected by USB 2.0.

I will try to provide as much info as possible, just let me know what you need.

Thanks

I was not trying to "be ugly" - but, I did ask:

What other specific/detailed information can you tell us?
    - after which you came back with "packet 110"... (That didn't seem to convey much - especially coming from someone who calls themselves 'nerdgeek' - and when there is an expectation of more information being available...)

What I was hoping for was more detailed information about what had already occurred in the installation process, as well as something like "It seems to hang when it gets to [a particular step/event/package/etc.], every time..." -- in general, the more information, the better...

BTW - 'packet' and 'package' are two very distinct and different things.

There are many people on these forums who are more than happy to help you -- the more information you can/will give them, the faster/better the solution is likely to be...

Describe the exact nature of "freeze" - when it happens, what do you see? What happens just before the "freeze" - is all control lost ("freeze" implies that it does)? What about hard drive activity? CD/DVD activity? Tell us about anything else that comes to mind that you think may be significant.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdgeek
    I am trying to dual boot on a laptop wit XP Home already installed, the drive I am trying to install it on is a external 20gig HDD connected by USB 2.0.
    Be warned that installing onto an external drive is still experimental, you will have better results if you try to install to the internal drive. That being said, some people have had success with installing Suse on an external drive, see this post
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.